Building a New Machine and GFX

Associate
Hey,

I realise you probably get these threads constantly and i'm sorry, but i'm wondering if you could help me build a machine. I know how to do the actual building, but i'm a little rusty on the parts.

Basically my dad has asked for a med spec computer that will be able to do office work as well as watch and write dvd's and be able to edit and look at photos.

I've kind of come to an agreement with him that he can have my 6600GT 256Mb that is currently in my machine, and i'll buy a new graphics card that's better for my machine. Sounds irish perhaps but trust me. ;)

So, i need help picking the parts. The price range is up to £600 but £550 would be great.

As for graphics cards, i wish to buy an X1800XT 256mb. Is that a good graphics card upgrade from a 6600GT?

All replies are welcome. Thank you.

EDIT: Woops, i just so the top sticky. I'm very sorry. :( Help would still be appreciated though if this doesn't get locked.

Last edited:
Sorry i should have detailed more.

Preferably a socket 939, gig of ram should do it, SATA drive and AMD, because i like AMD.

As i say, my intentions are to put the 6600GT in my computer, into this computer i'm building for my dad. I'd then get a X1800XT 256mb for my computer.

I certainly can't go wrong if i was building for a quite cool gaming PC :P Hell i'd even use that myself. But i'm afraid his primary use is office work and his secondary is photo editing at a very minor scale. It's a nice PC but i don't think he'd need that power.

That and i'd be tempted to take that for myself and give him my computer :D

Perhaps...perhaps.

Of course you need to know who you're dealing with. My dad has been using one computer that works at maybe 88mhz with maybe 2mb of ram and no graphics cards for a while now. The other computer is a 133mhz with maybe 64mb of ram and no graphics card either. He isn't exactly up in computer wizard stuff :D

Back
Top Bottom