Building a pc without an antistatic wrist thing

Soldato
How do i ground myself? I never used to bother with it at all before but I remember reading something about keeping your pc plugged in but i can't remember!

can someone remind me please :)

Soldato
gam3r said:
How do i ground myself? I never used to bother with it at all before but I remember reading something about keeping your pc plugged in but i can't remember!

can someone remind me please :)

One method is to leave the case plugged into the power supply, but SWITCH OFF AT THE WALL. Remember to switch it off at the wall, thats the important bit, otherwise you can fry your computer or yourself. Then you can occasionally touch a metal part of the case to ground yourself. Out of habbit, I also touch a metal tap before a build to ground myself. Only problem with this is that if there are plastic pipes in the system, it might not work.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

Would my laminate wooden floor be a good place for building the pc or would my desk be better(with respect to conductivity)?

Associate
if your building any electrical equipment that is static sensitive you must be electrical earthed (grounded),a cable stripped bare at both ends ,one end on a copper water,heating pipe and the other around your wrist will do short term,but buy a wrist strap
dave
:D :D :D :D

Soldato
Ive never grounded myself and never had a problem, to tell the truth i dont even turn it off if im just unplugging something like a fan and never had any problems, well i did catch my knuckle in the fan of my old G Power fan whilst it was at 100% and lost some skin.
Go on, live on the edge and work on your PC whilst in the bath

Man of Honour
Oh and in reply to the "leaving your pc plugged in" comment yes, leave the psu plugged into the motherboard and into the mains, but turn the switch off on the PSU otherwise things will be live.

Back
Top Bottom