Building a very quiet file server

Associate
I want to convert an antec aria i've got lying about into a small file server.

A question to anyone who has any experience of this.

If i fit a low power cpu, specifically a 600mhz duron a friend has lying about, will the heat output be managed by a fanless copper zalman flower cooler?

Thanks for your reply.

I've already swapped the psu fan and was hoping someone would verify the likelihood of passive cooling of the cpu, which you just did.

Cheers!

If anyone else has any further experience of this i'd be grateful.

could you ntry and get hold of a pentium 3? they run MUCH cooler than duron's and can be picked up on auction sites for around £3 + postage for a 800mhz+ model.
I ran a pentium 3 coppermine and tualatin fanless for months with a socket a arctic cooling heatsink (copper silent 2 with fan removed), and there were no problems and didn't reach more than 50 degrees under full load, with no case fans.

I managed to pick up a Swiftech socket-370 cooler and shove it on my P3 800Mhz to cool it passively. Temps were acceptable and it seemed fine, but for my peace of mind I put a silent papst on the sink :)

i got my HP e-pc 42, its damn small, VERY VERY quiet, cant hear it if i'm more than a meter away from it.

P4 1.7ghz, 768MB ram, 40GB, LAN, sounds, 4 USB 2.0, slim CD-ROM. ATi 16mb onboard graphic. paid £150 from ebay, fantastic small machine, using it for bit torrent, file server etc.

Thanks for your replies!

One more thing. My zalman flower cooler will hopefully fit socket 370? If i remember correctly the socket is the same? The cooler is connected only by one spring loaded clip which fits across the middle of the heatsink.

likwid said:
Just found this which'll be perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pentium-3-500mhz_W0QQitemZ6875136702QQcategoryZ14292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can someone explain to me how this thing fits to a motherboard? Further, will this be fast enough to run a linux file server with remote desktop?
Basially it slots into a Slot 1 motherboard.

You'd be better off going for a Socket 370 CPU and motherboard. You'd be massively restricted on what heatsinks and fans you can buy for that Slot 1 CPU. IIRC, it uses a 40 or 50mm fan.

The socket 370 is the same as socket 7 and near enough socket a. socket 7/370 have one bar mounted down the middle whilst a can have upto three (although the middle one lines up with the 7/370 mounting.
Is the zalman heavy? as if it has 3 mounting points then placing it on one may put too much strain on the socket.

It's not too heavy really, plus it doesn't stand too tall so shouldn't stress the board by twisting. The single "teeth" of the socket might be stressed by the clip spring tension, but i'm assuming as this doesn't present a problem on socket a it'll be ok?

[SKR]Abe said:
I got a 1400 Thunderbird, 2 noisy hard drives, the loudest fans ever.

I have put it in the shed though at the bottom of the garden so noise isnt a problem.

Thats the best option!! Locate the server somewhere remote (cellar, loft, shed...etc) Mine is in the loft. That way you can build a decent speed rig such as a cheap socket A set-up, you will appreciate the extra speed when you have 3-4 users connected to the server whilst your downloading off bit torrent and extracting downloads whilst being connected to it via remote desktop!!

Back
Top Bottom