Associate
Recently I have decided on the decision of buying a new pc but felt i should build one as it would be fun and yeh who cares.
I have come up with components for my new pc that total up to around 1000£
Really I would want to come up with a build with a less total amount but if you feel i need to maybye increase this amount then please tell me so. I may have even left out a crucial piece, like i said im new ive only watched a few videos on yt about pc building and learnt a few basics.
Here is what i came up with:
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: I5 8600K 3.6Ghz
RAM: 16gb HyperX (Kinda too expensive)
PSU: Formula 650W (most likely needs a change)
HDD: 1TB WD
Mother Board: MSI Z370 Intel
Case: NZXT Midi tower (idk the difference or if i would need to get a full size case.)
I assume there are other accessories ill need such as some thermal paste (if someone could also link some good thermal paste and how much id need of it that'd be lovely)
Maybe there are some wires too but I've not seen much of needed accessories apart from a cooler which brings me to my next question
With this rig will I need a buyable cooler and not be able to use the stock cooler that comes with the cpu?

So if there are alternatives to my parts that are either:

Cheaper and bareley effect the pc and keep it at a good level because maybye a different part of my computer build needs to be better for that one to work as well as it can.

More expensive but increase the rigs potential tremendously and something i might aswell save a bit more for.

Every comment/suggestion is much appreciated and remember im not an expert in this field but know what i would like to say are all the basics <3

Soldato
Do you currently have a monitor that you are planning to use, or one that you have shortlisted to buy?

You've left out an SSD, you really cannot miss out an SSD at the current low pricing.

Can provide more info once you answer the monitor question. :)

Associate
What will the PC be used for?

Agreed on the SSD. Even consider an nvme M2 drive which are also dropping in price. I just got a really good 480GB one for not much more than £100

Associate
OP
SSD sounds good wasnt sure if i could possibly cut that out of the build but ill try get a decent maybe 50ish pound minimum ssd to start with. I do have a monitor but its pretty terrible its the "Samsung syncmaster B1940W 19"

Its also going to be used as a gaming pc. Cant belive i forgot to put that down tbh

Associate
Yes that's a decent one.

Having one of those will speed up application loading times, so faster game loading, faster Windows boot up, etc.

Another, relatively minor advantage, is that as they slot directly into the motherboard so it'll be a couple less cables needed in your case.

Soldato
SSD sounds good wasnt sure if i could possibly cut that out of the build but ill try get a decent maybe 50ish pound minimum ssd to start with. I do have a monitor but its pretty terrible its the "Samsung syncmaster B1940W 19"

Its also going to be used as a gaming pc. Cant belive i forgot to put that down tbh

Man, that is an ancient monitor 1400x900 so not even 1080p, that's got to be replaced. I've put a system together for you below that fits your budget still ,and will game really well at 1080p for your new monitor, and offers some upgradability in the future. :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £929.02 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

I've left some budget, so you can change the case, add a better PSU if you want to, or a 2-3TB storage drive. The monitor is a 144Hz Freesync model so you gain adaptive sync from the Radeon RX 580 card, and £100+ of free games with that until Sunday I believe. No need to add a cooler or thermal paste just yet, as that comes with the CPU and will do just fine.

Associate
Man, that is an ancient monitor 1400x900 so not even 1080p, that's got to be replaced. I've put a system together for you below that fits your budget still ,and will game really well at 1080p for your new monitor, and offers some upgradability in the future. :)

Total: £929.02 (includes shipping: £14.10)

I've left some budget, so you can change the case, add a better PSU if you want to, or a 2-3TB storage drive. The monitor is a 144Hz Freesync model so you gain adaptive sync from the Radeon RX 580 card, and £100+ of free games with that until Sunday I believe. No need to add a cooler or thermal paste just yet, as that comes with the CPU and will do just fine.
A really solid list for the budget.

I would say this will provide you with a lot more joy and satisfaction than going intel and nvidia right now and you wouldn't notice the difference between them. Except in your wallet.

Soldato
Get a better PSU than the Kolink. Anything by Seasonic will do.

Note that you will be able to use your current monitor as a secondary monitor. Similarly you will be able to move your current HDD across for extra storage - but only do that once you're happy.

Associate
Associate
OP
Alright so first thanks a lot for the suggestions. Cant believe I didn't get one thing right haha.
I've swapped out the psu from Journeys list to a Seasonic like Quartz suggested. Unfortunatley The cheaper ones under 100£ arent available rn on overclocker and im not gunna buy ones over 100£ because i dont see a real reason to spend over a hundred on a psu at this point in time.
And for the case is it okay to still stay with the nzxt? I prefer a case either black or white and that way i can add a full rgb kit and pimp it a little bit when i get more funds.
If the case wouldnt work with this said rig let me know and since no ones suggested it does that mean the stock cooler with that ryzen cpu would be good enough?
(Overall increase of 49£)

Last edited:
Soldato
@BenWoods

This Antec is a better unit. Also please can you edit out that website link for the Seasonic psu as you are not allowed to link to competitors :)

Total: £84.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

The stock cooler is fine for Ryzen unless you plan on doing a heavy overclock of the cpu. The NZXT case will be fine if you prefer that one.

Associate
OP
alright but would a 550W work for my rig?
and also is the card suggested better than my original msi? To me it just looks kind of offbrand because im new but is it more benefitial to stay with that card or the gtx 1060

Last edited:
Soldato
Never ever skimp out on the psu, a cheap unit can be fatal to your pc. I recommend at least a gold rated unit and personally recommend Superflower.

As for thermal paste, you can't get better than Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught, but it may not be necessary unless you plan to overclock.

Associate
OP
Alright thanks. Ill see what i can get for a gold rated unit infact ill probably stick with that psu suggested. For thermal paste ill buy the one you suggested as a cooler upgrade is what i will probably go for later down the line but until then overclocking is probably a bad idea. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, really appreciated <3

I suppose this would be enough for just the one cpu? I doubt ill be building another pc anytime soon so i only need a thermal paste that will do one cpu just fine

also should i buy a 650W psu incase of upgrades just to be safe as its only a little bit extra.

Last edited:
Soldato
I always go for a higher rated psu than I really need. My thinking is it puts less strain on the psu helping it last longer. Plus always gives a bit of head room for upgrades.

If you apply Kryonaught now you'll have to reapply it when change coolers. I'd be tempted to get a decent cooler now.

Soldato
You won't need 650W for that system, but as you say the price difference isn't much so no issues going with the 650W if you want to. The Antec is a good psu and is made by Seasonic based on the Focus Gold.

If you are sticking with the stock AMD cooler then you don't need the extra thermal paste. If and when you buy an aftermarket cooler and overclock the cpu then just buy the paste at that time.

Soldato
Buying a £70+ cooler to gain 100-150MHz is just silly, especially for a CPU that is not thermally constrained, it's the base architecture that is holding it back from being clocked higher.

Your system will be drawing <300w at the wall playing games so 550w is more than enough, and puts it at the 50% range which is the most efficient area for a PSU. There's only 7% difference between a bronze and gold rated PSU at 50% load.

Back
Top Bottom