Building my own Merc Stealth (complete project writeup)

Don
I've used a Steelseries Merc Stealth keyboard for about 10 years. Over this time my muscle memory has become so ingrained that I can't game with any other layout other than the gamepad on the left of the keyboard. No problem. Get a keyboard you like and keep with it I figured. This was fine until it started to die.

7qYGYfD.jpg

Steelseries don't make it any more and there's nothing on the market that has a similar layout with as many buttons. I tried the Orbweaver (too few buttons), Wolf Claw (bad ergonamics), and various no-name Chinese boards, none of which hit the mark. I had pretty much resigned myself to having to drop a couple of hundered pounds on another one from an auction site. Then my mate pointed me in the direction of a project he was undertaking to build his own custom keyboard. He figured it would be pretty straightforward to make a gamepad in the same layout as the Stealth using machanical switches. I was on it like a shot.

To be honest, my mate deserves all the credit for this. He did all the research for his own project so most of the groundwork was done. I just needed to design my own layout, cut the case pieces, choose the switches and keycaps, solder it together, write my own firmware and I'm done.

So, to start with I tried to create the Stealth's layout. I used http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com and once I worked out how to use the program, I was away.

ErMmmQ1.jpg

I then needed to shoose some switches. I settled on Gateron Blues due to their nice clicky feel and low price (20p each)

Once this was done I took the output of the editor and popped it in to another website: http://builder.swillkb.com which draws the CAD DXF files for you. Now I had my case plans:

VnkSQ3b.jpg aJ4axNK.jpg xIsB3Mg.jpg WNuc6e6.jpg

Sent that lot to the laser cutter with 3mm acrylic and soon had my case ready to accept switches.

g8MxyCa.jpg

I used some hot glue to hold the switches in place. It easily picks off but provides a pretty strong mount. If I had been using metal as my top panel then it was be unnecessary as the switches would just clip in.
Next to the wiring. Following this guide: https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/brownfox-step-by-step-t6050.html I bought some 1N4148 diodes and set about soldering. Please excuse my rubbish soldering skills. It aint pretty but it does the job:

2ZFqGGs.jpg

GAB4wtN.jpg

Next up was the firmware. I suck at coding. I can follow a piece of code in a few languages reasonably well and I can shell-script my way out of my own job but I'd never tried this sort of thing before. It wasn't that difficult to be honest.

I started with this code base: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard and got to editing. Once I worked out how the layout worked and how the Teensy addressed it's IOs it was fairly simple. Took me about 5 goes to get it to compile due to typos and various syntax errors on my part but after a while I got it done and flashed on to the Teensy. Aaaand. IT WORKED! YAY!

Bolted it all together, popped the keycaps on and we're done:

NhTxPPn.jpg

Materials used and approximate costs:

32 x Gateron Blues (20p each) = £6.40p
4 x A4 sheets of 3mm acrylic (£2.98 each) = £11.92p
32 x 1N4148 diodes (pack of 50) = £1.98p
1 x Teensy 2.0++ = £12.99p
1 x Mini-USB cable = £2.00p
1 x Set of double-shot keys = £8.89p
1 x Set of Zinc WSAD keys = £4.59p
Wire, solder, etc.

Total: £48.77

Don
OP
Did a raid last night in WoW and the board performed flawlessly. The spacing between the keys is a little larger than the Merc but it didn't take too long to get used to it. Very happy.

Associate
After a few pointers from Rilot, I decided to have a go myself and here is the result.

Warning: The sight of my first ever attempt at soldering may cause distress :)

bjNJNWP.jpg

My first ever soldering attempt. Red Gateron Switches soldered to diodes in a matrix.

pWUEl6Q.jpg

Soldering complete and tested.

KaGkIE3.jpg

Gluing down the final USB cable. I had to reposition a few of the wires first.

lAJSG1l.jpg

View from the top.

KThJ1Ya.jpg

Keycaps added

XOygGTI.jpg

Build complete. I tested it with a solo game of Deep Rock Galactic! Above is the original MERC Keyboard.

I still need to replace the 4 corner bolts with some nicer ones and then cut them down to size, which will lower the whole thing by 1.2cm. Finally I'll stick on some rubber feet to stop it sliding around as currently its just resting on the 4 bolt ends. Both things should arrive mid next week.

Thanks for listening and thanks to Rilot who by originally posting his build introduced me to the (extensive) world of custom keyboards :)

Images hosted on Imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/PRv0Lhl

Associate
Ive had this page booked marked for sometime, I love my Merc Stealth and I know it will die at some point. I recently bought a ender 3 3D printer and I have returned here as I should now be able to replicate the original pad with keys included and I am going to make this my first goal of my own project to replicate and print one up. But a big thanks as it would not be possible with out your project.

Soldato
Ive had this page booked marked for sometime, I love my Merc Stealth and I know it will die at some point. I recently bought a ender 3 3D printer and I have returned here as I should now be able to replicate the original pad with keys included and I am going to make this my first goal of my own project to replicate and print one up. But a big thanks as it would not be possible with out your project.
Please, please, PLEASE keep us updated on that!

Associate
Good day All,
I know this is an olde' thread... but I take a shot here!

Glad to see that I am not the only one that has a love affair with the Merc. The short version of my tale is I've had 3 of these boards and I can't seem to play with any other since I've been potty trained for so many years on the Merc and the whole sausage finger thing :D. I was getting replacement keys from the manufacturer until they ran out, then I scavenge my old boards for remains, but now the end is near. I'm attempting to make my own as illustrated by Rilot (thank BTW for the instructions), but I'm know engineer ...;) anyone figure out a simpler way?

Aprilrain- how did the 3D option work out for you?

Associate
Hey everyone!,

I understand that this thread is ancient, but I still look at this thread for an alternative to replace my merc stealth that is still going strong, but I know it will give out sooner or later. So if anyone of you guys *somehow* still have the original file or raw data on your version of the gaming side of the merc stealth... I know this is sounding like big baby is too dumb help. But I don't have the time to do it being a full time college student. And this isn't really my field of expertise, but I do love how there are still plenty of people like me who still love this keyboard.

Associate
Even Though this post is old, I wanted to join the Forum here just to reply. First let me say that as an American, I find the OP to be Spot On. Let me relate my own story first. Waaay back when the first Merc Stealth Series went retail, I bought Two of them. I kept one in the box until ten years down the road my original just plain wore out. I have been using my second one here for the last ten years but it now too is nearing its useful end. You can still find the Merc Keyboards for sale believe it or not but they are selling for as high as $600 USD. I have been looking into makeing my own keyboard for the last two years or actually having one service or another just make one for me.
Now that I stumbled upon your Forum post here by just doing a random search my answer is now revealed. Thank you to all the commenters here that contributed their experiences and solutions as well. When I finally get around to making my own, I will post with pics. CHEERS!

Soldato
Even Though this post is old, I wanted to join the Forum here just to reply. First let me say that as an American, I find the OP to be Spot On. Let me relate my own story first. Waaay back when the first Merc Stealth Series went retail, I bought Two of them. I kept one in the box until ten years down the road my original just plain wore out. I have been using my second one here for the last ten years but it now too is nearing its useful end. You can still find the Merc Keyboards for sale believe it or not but they are selling for as high as $600 USD. I have been looking into makeing my own keyboard for the last two years or actually having one service or another just make one for me.
Now that I stumbled upon your Forum post here by just doing a random search my answer is now revealed. Thank you to all the commenters here that contributed their experiences and solutions as well. When I finally get around to making my own, I will post with pics. CHEERS!
I gave up on the idea myself, but look forward to your results!

Back
Top Bottom