Building reg fees

Soldato
Yo,

Undertaking a garage conversion myself.

Had builder quotes in excess of 10k for a single double skinned garage converted to a room...

So decided ill do it myself for a fraction of this price.

I've been told I need to pay around 1.25k in building regs fees... even if I do it myself.

I've had a look at the table on my councils site, and fail to understand why this costs apply...

Can someone please educate me on why they are allowed to basically Rob me of nearly 1500 for which should be a quick check and a tick boxing task..

Soldato
OP
I didn't pay that much for a full single story rear extension. Iirc it was a fixed fee based on the room size.

Your local authority may vary, but I'd be surprised if it was as much as you say.

Edit - https://www.durham.gov.uk/media/352...trol-fees-and-guidance-notes-1-April-2021.pdf

I can't remember which fees apply, but "Conversion of a garage to a habitable room(s)" is only a few hundred however you add it up.
How are you adding it up?

That row has around 1400 in fees again...

I don't plan on submitting any sort of plan.

That drops it to £1300.

It really makes zero sense... 1, which charges apply and 2, how they think it's suitable to charge so much.

My materials won't even cost that much!

Soldato
OP
Seeing as England has a bizarre (in my opinion) way of doing things which line in your list of fees are referring to?

In Scotland we work it out on a sliding scale based on the cost of works so a 10k build cost based on the builder you approached would as jellybeard suggests would only come to a few hundred pounds.

Again when you say you're not supplying any plans (we have to up here) how will be building inspector know if you're doing things correctly if they've got no plan to follow on your proposed works? The quote you've received may seem excessive but prices of materials have been in the rise over the course of the pandemic. They did level off a bit at the start of the year but the war in the Ukraine has knocked prices up again in the last month. Not really such a thing as a cheap house build / extension any more
The cost of material for me to do the garage conversion Come in at 1750 not Inc window.

And that's me going all out.

Can't see why I need drawn up plans for a simple single garage conversion.

I'm not using a builder, so I cut out a massive amount of the cost.

I'll have to approach the council to ask.. sigh.

Soldato
OP
It would become an issue if he wants to sell it on and the purchasing solicitor would ask for the relevant council paperwork if they're competent of course!
We don't plan to move for at least a decade.

I also plan to ensure insulation is above the spec with photos to provide proof.

Luckily it's a double skinned garage, so I don't need to worry about internal framing and insulation. The garage walls already been filled with insulation when they did the house years back.

The ONLY structural type work, is an addition of a 3/4 size door to the house... which I may or may not bother doing. Depends on how long I need to wait for my new lean too conservatory to be built behind the garage.

May just get on with it, my neighbours are all decent people.

Soldato
OP
I find it crazy how much councils can stick their nose into EVERYTHING. Whilst charging for the privilege.

I'll create a Basic plan myself, and contact the planning dept to see what I need to pay. I spoke to Admiral and asked about insurance... they confirmed I'd need the documentation to be covered for that room.

Sigh....

Its come down to me doing this ALL myself, as even getting a builder to put a 90cm high wall in with a window is over 3k! Materials alone are about £600 for me to do that bit. So... I'll watch a Youtube video and do it all myself :p

Can learn to do everything on Youtube these days lol

Soldato
OP
It's not crazy at all.

Building Regs are there to ensure any construction work is undertaken safely and to meet standards.

You do sound like you're attempting to become a cowboy builder who doesn't want to meet those standards.
Hey hey hey, that last paragraph is uncalled for.

I even stated I'll be contacting them and paying what needs to be paid.

It's extra funds which I need to raise, of course I'm going to be grumpy about it.

Not sure how a person doing their own building works can possibly make them a cow boy builder, especially if they plan to go above and beyond the regulations in place.

Soldato
OP
As above, people will not buy houses that don't have building regs for conversions. Just stop being a cheapskate and pay for it, or you'll paying even more down the line when you have to knock 10's of thousands off the price.

If you don't have building regs, and the new owners try to do further building work, they're liable to have to pay to "rectify" your conversion by converting back and having it done to regs. You'll have that negotiated off the price. Indemnity insurance doesn't cover that risk, and we had a solicitor advise us not to continue a house purchase based on this (and we did indeed pull out, and saw the house re-listed a couple of weeks later for £30k less!).

Oddly enough, we have a friend trying to get an extension done and most builders are turning their nose up at including building regs! Just goes to show the state of some tradesmen. Cowboys everywhere.
100% agree.

I'll be getting it, because of the reasons you state.

Soldato
OP
The floor was creaking horribly, so I always planned to pull it up and see what was going on when I got around to decorating the room.
It turns out that the floor has been cowboy'ed so whilst I am spending the money to correct it, I decided I might as well have it signed off with building control at the same time, it will prevent further issues in future regarding house insurance and if we decide to sell up.

I could have gotten away without doing it, the house was bought with an indemnity policy in place, but I felt happier getting it signed off.

Building inspector did the first inspection and was happy with the other work. the only extra step I need to take it to dig a small hole in front of the property so that they can see what footings are in place for the walls where the old garage door has been bricked up.
What footings did you have to add?

Would photos suffice? Why make you dig a hole?

Hmm, might just leave a hole open after laying the foundation if they want to see it.

Soldato
OP
They are likely to want to see the footings dug to the appropriate depth and onto load bearing strata. May also want to see the pegs / stakes identifying the depth of the footings and then after the pour also to ensure they are the correct size
Kinda mad really. The only load will be small amount of bricks and a window.

But yea, I see the point

Back
Top Bottom