Building Seedbox

Associate
Anyone here have their own seedboxes running in their house? If so, what set up are you running?

I recently set up one of my old mATX PCs and chucked a bunch of SSDs in there.

It actually works really well but I've just noticed that it uses 100w-150w to run. This works out to be about 3kW per day which is nearly £1 per day in electricity. I was thinking of changing into something a bit more power efficient, like those small dell/HP mini-desktop thingies, but I assume they would only have room for very limited storage.

Any advice welcome.

My Synology 4-Bay DiskStation DS923+ with 4x8TB HDD drives consumes around 65W.

My custom built mATX i3 8100T in a Fractal Node 804 with 8 HDD drives consumes around 100W.

So just find a CPU with low TDP, that is all really, you could try get a platinum-rated PSU or higher to eek out some less Watts as well - note you have to check how efficient they are under 100W.

SSDs are in general low power, much lower than HDD, but double check the power consumption on those as well.

Anyone here have their own seedboxes running in their house? If so, what set up are you running?

I recently set up one of my old mATX PCs and chucked a bunch of SSDs in there.

It actually works really well but I've just noticed that it uses 100w-150w to run. This works out to be about 3kW per day which is nearly £1 per day in electricity. I was thinking of changing into something a bit more power efficient, like those small dell/HP mini-desktop thingies, but I assume they would only have room for very limited storage.

Any advice welcome.

The key question is: How many GB (/TB) of data do you need to seed, and what speed is your network connection?
If you're on FTTC with 80 down and 20 up, a HDD and super low power machine would do.
If you're on gigabit and you're chasing ratio, you might well want something with a bunch more CPU and some m2 SSDs.

With power use being a concern, I'd consider A Dell Wyse 5070: https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/5070/
These can be upgraded to have a larger SSD, and some USB3 external HDDs too. It's so low in terms of power use (7 watts running) that it's fanless (so: silent, and fairly cool running). Unless you're properly ratio chasing, it ought to be more than sufficient.

You'll probably need to install Linux on it, the 16GB Storage 'out of the box' is a bit skinflint. But Debian installs nicely on it; no need for a full desktop environment. Windows might outgrow the size of that partition!

Back
Top Bottom