Bumblebee Build - MiniITX

Soldato
hi,

I managed to hold out over 4 years before I decided to do another build. I went completely over the top with the last Watercooled monster:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18385715

I blew a lot of money on it (it was well over £5k) and lots of personal free time to learn and build it. It took me 2 months in the end to procure all the parts (many of them came from the USA, one part came from Australia).

I had so many parts left over I could have half-build another rig.

Now in 2016 I would say the watercooling scene has moved on so much that this time around I have opted for a much simpler build with no custom WC.

I can justify this due to the lack of developments in multi-core and multi-gpu gaming. Which means I can go for a single card quad-core solution with fast ram and disk. Minimal cabling.

I had some bad experiences with the Asus MB hardware on my last rig so this time I have gone Gigabyte.

I will be using all AIO WC units for the CPU and GPU.

Here is the current BOM:

Corsair 380T Case
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Intel 6700k
16GB (2 x 8GB) G-Skill Trident DDR4 3600
Razer Tournament Edition KB
Samsung 950 NVMe 512GB Disk
Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme Gaming Waterforce
Eizo FORIS FS2735
Corsair H100 V2 240mm AIO
Corsair AX760 PSU
Asus AC68 WIFI

Last but not least, some Good ol' Artic Silver.

I should have the build done next week, will post pics.

Issues list:

- Eizo IPS Monitor is coming from Germany, grabbed a Dell 144hz TN G-Sync to keep me going until then, will compare side-by-side next week (edit: Eizo arriving today)

- G-Skill RAM stick was DOA so that had to go back. I realised this at 4.45pm, my only chance was a rush-hour drive from MediaCity to Bolton. They shut at 5.30pm. It got to the retail counted 4 minutes before closing. I obtained a CAS19 4200 Corsair LPX kit (8GB) which I am testing along with a CAS16 3466 Corsair LPX kit (16GB).

- The Gigabyte AIO card fits, thats the good news. The bad news is that the rad unit does not appear to be mountable anywhere. Its not really a big deal for me however if this was a professional or retail build this would need to be solved.

- The Corsair RAM will not run at 4200. I think it is the IMC on my CPU. Will need to fiddle.

- XMP on the Corsair does not work at all, the settings will not read. Have inputted settings manually. Have settled on 17-25-25-45-1T for now at 1.4v

- CPU will boot into Windows 10 at 5.1GHZ using 1.45v. Is not stable at this voltage

- M2 SSD mount-points are underneath the motherboard, I had assembled the build before I realised this. Once I had replaced the workbench I was working on due to the crater I made with my forehead, It was a simple case of removing a single mounting screw and viola

- If I want to swap RAM I need to remove the Corsair CPU AIO unit, this is a pain however I need to accept that I am on the limits of what was possible with this case using AIO units. If I used a custom WC loop this would not be a problem as I could go for a slimmer radiator

Its ok for benching as the Gigabyte boards LLC means 1.45v set in BIOS is lower than 1.45v.

I am currently set at 4.787Mhz @ 1.38v in BIOS (Intel XTU stable) which is reading as 1.354v VID in HWMonitor and 1.368v in the Gigabyte Hardware monitor.

CPU Temps are peaking at just under 70C.

Last edited:
I will need to buy a case for the monitor.

bumblebee is easy to grip and carry although with the water cooling it is heavy.

fan controller would fit into either drive bays as I went m2 ssd.

honestly though, my previous build had a £300 controller in it and corsair link does the job just fine.

I have given bumblebee a midlife upgrade and dropped in a 7700k with a 5.2 bin into the rig with some 3200 C16 RAM. Updates to follow !

Back
Top Bottom