Bungalow build log

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the recommendation koolpc

I bodge lots of things :p
(I hope it's mainly the shower you mean! :p)

Cost is the main reason for going the cheaper route generally! I had a quote in to do my structural work on the kitchen and some outside repointing and it came to £4.6k :o (however that's not something I want to cheap out on!!)

Engineered wood floor is pretty easy to fit btw, the one I bought was £18 a square metre too, with free underlay. I also managed to get 2 packs free (~£70) as a couple were damaged on arrival

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Started to do the third bedroom (smaller bedroom) its 2.6m by 2.6m ish. Will be putting up lining paper over the weekend and painting over it (poor wall quality)

Ive also taken the skirting boards off to fit new boards above the engineered wood floor that's going in (same stuff as I used the last room)

20161214_202706_zpskrmsykul.jpg

Soldato
OP
Why am i strangely attracted to a 1970s fireplace :(

The large lounge area is a 1990s extension, thus the fireplace is far more modern than that! :p
(I'm not sure if the whole lounge is an extension or just the back end of it so you might be right. - One of the pics indicating different styles of sub floor board which is why I suspect it).

Sized the walls today... The mrs managed to waste a whole pack of wallpaper paste by not stirring at correct intervals.. :X (Hopefully actually putting the wallpaper on tomorrow will be easier! But I'll hold my breath)

Also just measured the depth of the insulation in my roof and it's only 80mm!
On that note, is it easy to raise the level of a loft > 200mm? I've seen loft legs only does circa 170mm?? (and ideally I'd want ~300mm insulation?)

Anyone done their own insulation before? Everyone recommends me off it as it's such a horrible job (with glass fibre) but I'm worried anyone I get in will do a crap job!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Will you be painting on top of the lining paper?

Certainly will! (it's double sided for painting or putting wallpaper on top of it)

Lining papered the wall due to all the cracks in the wall (and it would need either re skimmed or covered with lining paper... I chose the latter.)

Hopefully the join lines won't be noticeable!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Back from Glasgow for Christmas and first job was to buy all this...
opedip0.jpg

Im removing all the old insulation (spurious ~80mm insulation) and replacing with 300mm and reboarding on top)

The Mrs has started on painting that other bedroom and

Soldato
Horrible job dealing with insulation in the attic. I remember in our last house removing all the old stuff in the heat of summer!! I could only last a few mins at a time in the attic. It was sweltering plus the fibers etc!

Soldato
OP
Pics when its done please

Not quite yet done but to give an idea....
s7GFyMgh.jpg

it looks slightly more washed out in the photo than it is Irl (red feature wall and clay white on the walls) . I'm pretty impressed with the lining paper! I've only got 1 poor join in the room, that's what I get for wallpapering late at night after work! Won't be noticeable when furniture is in there anyways... I'm also quite critical so doubt most would notice.

Still been at it in the loft, reboarding the high level and fitted a nuaire drimaster system (positive input ventilation). Not yet got an electrician to plug it in tho! (going to get him to fit a bathroom extractor fan at the same time). Pics to come of the loft when it's done...

In the interim here's a picture of the largest wasps nest I got rid of.. :
PVWmuY6h.jpg

Managed to find the old owners had put paving stones, kitchen doors and all sorts on top of the plasterboard ceiling in the loft! No wonder the plaster is cracked (particularly above the garage)

When reboarding in the loft I've been using my Christmas present, a makita 18v impact driver and this is how it makes me feel:

157osi.jpg

I think I'll get a drill in the same range, does anyone know if standard "drill drivers" are the same as corded drills for power? Thru plasterboard /most easier jobs? Or are they false economy?

**finally also put a picture of the layout on the Opening post also **

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Put some insulation in. I must have spent at least 6 days in here thus far!! Doesn't help the previous owne left all sorts hanging in the eaves! I've been removing all the old stuff also (not sure if that was a bad idea but hey!)

Got an electrician coming during the week and I'll fit my nuaire disaster then.

vtaQKZyh.jpg

3yraMvuh.jpg

Soldato
OP
Is that crawling room only?

Yeah it's not particular big space! (only really useful for accessing the isolation valves above the shower etc.)

Ive left the boards above the garage at 100mm (smart idea from the Mrs!) so there's more headroom on that side). Hopefully the insulation and drimaster will resolve the condensation issues in my bedroom!

Finished (there and thereabouts) today and so glad to be done!

Soldato
Be interested to see the drimaster if you have pics?

Same here as we have condensation issues in our bungalow, we have done most of the things OP has said with insulation etc and its not solved it at all - I think the floor is the biggest issue as its solid and not insulated so always going to be cold!

How much is the nuaire costing inc fitting??

Soldato
OP
Fit it myself, so wasn't an issue cost wise (I'll put some pics up once I've connected the ducting and stuff). Not sure of the electrics cost as an electrician is doing it as a package (with a bathroom extractor also). I'll give an update once all fitted/ in operation next week

Cost wise I think the nuaire was around £290 for the product (I bought the Eco HC thinking it has a heater but I must have not read it properly!) not too bothered as the heater is just another thing to end up breaking tbh.

Soldato
OP
Installed the drimaster very quickly and seems to be lowering the humidity (haven't got particularly quantifiable results but walls are no longer wet!) I'll get a better idea of humidity %s after its been installed a few days.

mMpKnOXh.jpg

Also got a bathroom fan installed and it appears I have 3 layers of tiles adjacent to my shower! (just retiled over the old tiles...). Fair scope of wall to reclaim there then when I do it up!
(impressive wallpaper I know!) 4dGu74Z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom