Bungalow build log

Associate
3 layers of tiles! It must feel like a much bigger house given how many fixed wardrobes etc you've removed in various bedrooms and the like. I am interested in the Drimaster - can you hear it when it's running? DO you notice a draft/do you have one of the versions with a heating element?

Soldato
OP
3 layers of tiles! It must feel like a much bigger house given how many fixed wardrobes etc you've removed in various bedrooms and the like. I am interested in the Drimaster - can you hear it when it's running? DO you notice a draft/do you have one of the versions with a heating element?

hah 3 layers of tiles only in the walls of the bathroom... Which I've not done yet

You can only hear the drimaster running if you put your ear up close (with the fan on a high setting) when you're in the loft. Otherwise it can't be heard at all from beneath, it's suspended from a cable to the roof trusses, so no vibration/noise can easily be transferred.

Image of install here: oqbpfbph.jpg

It hasn't created any noticeable drafts, and mines installed in a narrow corridor, which is the worst kind of installation point (near walls)

In terms of humidity it has significantly reduced the humidity issues in the bedrooms backing onto the garage walls. If I leave the doors open will be around 60% measured from hygrometer, was previously 80+% (roughly)
-Humidity will still get high ish in the nights when sleeping, but will be resolved just by leaving the door open which suits our lifestyle (both at work all day). I expect the humidity to improve even more so when I get a door between the bedroom hall and the kitchen.

I've been installing roof lap vents in the loft the last week or so, as the non porous roof felt has been condensing a lot of water in it, due to the additional heat in the house with the increased insulation (which I made sure to leave gaps at the eaves!). I've since resolved this issue with roof lap vents thankfully, very poor quality old bitumen felt.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Finally have a 2nd bedroom/office. After routing cat 6 ethernet behind the skirting board I now realise why wifi was invented.

Also plastic skirting board was a bad choice... But done now :x

7GiCwhoh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
To the OP...

How are you getting on with the drimaster having had it running for a while, also could you post a pic of the vent in situ - mine would be going into a narrowish hallway so interested in the placement of yours and its effectiveness!?

Soldato
OP
Here's underside of drimaster

BMpLdBmh.jpg

Unfortunately one of the wall plugs to fit the unit to the ceiling hasn't worked on that front right corner (not that you can really tell). But it's on the list of jobs to do.

Yeah it's good, as said above. The positioning could be better (not much I can do with the given layout) and I'm yet to get a door on the hallway, which I expect will improve bedrooms.

Spent all day mitre ing Scotia in living room today, it's an arseache to work out! (even with a mitre saw)

Soldato
OP
recently finished off the living room (ish)

Got curtains
Ran speaker cable and internet cable behind scotia (now it's fully hidden) - I realise this cable is a bit long! but easy to cut
fitted scotia
bought a tv unit

LY1PE1Jh.jpg

DK7NHHph.jpg

Considering whether to insulate internally the next bedroom which I'm going to renovate which backs onto the garage... But not sure if it's worth the bother really.

Soldato
OP
Yeah AVF Burghley 1250, very nice and not wild price. Shame it came missing a bolt but the customer services managed to send one out next day which I was impressed with

Associate
Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP

What price did you pay for that version, Love this stand, White one for me seems it's £249

Got these speakers to sit either side :)

img_med0.jpg
l_10004697_004.jpg
Yeah I paid 249 from curry's

Soldato
OP
Recently:
Got the 3rd bedroom and hallway skimmed
(the hallway was previously done... But it was really bumpy from being mostly poly filla!)

3rd bedroom also had some old wardrobes in round the corner behind.. Which I've since removed. Was quoted £1k from an independent for some fairly standard fitted wardrobes! Thus I'm going to ikea..

5VS3Szd.jpg

and painting after the plaster dried.... Thus far, got a fair few coats to go!!

QYRBXBF.jpg

Zm4S213.jpg

Wall mounted a new TV (thank the Lord for solid walls!)
Wmp3Refh.jpg

Also got a new painting

9E3FVUlh.jpg

Also got some hangers for putting coats on in bedroom

5KjfmKth.jpg

Soldato
OP
They're Umbra coat hangers I got from Amazon :)

I've been quoted £475 for the following two doors, does that sound about right to you guys?

is it true that Howdens offer different prices for different carpenters? (ie different discounts?). I tried to phone Howdens and they wouldn't tell me how much the doors are!

That doesn't even include the £200 fitting!

https://www.howdens.com/doors-joine...rnal-hardwood-doors/dordogne-oak-glazed-door/

https://www.howdens.com/doors-joine...rs/internal-hardwood-doors/dordogne-oak-door/

Soldato
OP
Yeah drimaster is still good, no problems there.

Just need to put finished pictures of that bedroom (need to put skirting and carpet in then its done)

Been doing the garden, took a lot of jet washing and cleaning! Also levelled out some of the stones today (broke out and re levelled)

8AQNivWh.jpg

AFY4u9jh.jpg

Before picture from December but gives an idea of the growth!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Got some matching speakers for the rear to match the fronts.

wIoKI16.jpg
Finished spare bedroom (thanks to thread here fixing the electrics!). Just need to put covers on and a light shade

kHBVRny.jpg

Also got some new wardrobes, carpet, curtains in spare room.
kb3vIB6.jpg

Also got a new bed and mattress in our bedroom

B6tJh6f.jpg

Soldato
OP
Some new cushions and a speaker stand for the back left. Been grafting / de Weeding a lot of the front garden but dont really have pics. Going to put 4 in 1 seed down to get rid of the moss/improve the lawn.

2kJXJeq.jpg

Soldato
OP
New door, carpenter said it was the hardest door to fit he's had in a while! Glad i didn't do it myself.

What would you guys recommend for finishing it? I've heard osmo oil is good? Would it keep the door colour similar?
Bxn96Nl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom