Business card design C&C

Soldato
Was due to order some more business cards yesterday but we thought we might try something a little different to our standard ones.

Anyway below is the creation. Just after some feedback as to whether it's a good idea or cheesy or not obvious enough that it's a business card (and what it's supposed to be similar to), or anything else.

mxFee.jpg

bY4uk.jpg

fqQwU.jpg

The text is small but not too small. It's certainly legible from half a metre away and none of the people who we've given one too in real life have commented on the text size yet so hopefully it's ok. Hard to make it bigger when essentially designing with a space half the size of a normal card!

Not a huge fan of the ido watermark on the text side. The other danger is that it gives a very strong sense of the traditional, but if that fits with your brand and target market then I think it's a fantastic card.

I love the perforated split, 2 cards for the price of one and probably the reason behind the watermark, but I don't think you need it tbh.

Then I've nothing else to say other than I think it's a lovely card. :)

Not a huge fan of the ido watermark on the text side. The other danger is that it gives a very strong sense of the traditional, but if that fits with your brand and target market then I think it's a fantastic card.

I love the perforated split, 2 cards for the price of one and probably the reason behind the watermark, but I don't think you need it tbh.

The watermark is a little more obvious than in real life simply because I bumped the contrast etc to make the whites white. Understand what you mean though, and the reason it was there was simply because I was copying current cinema ticket designs which always seem to have the logo of the cinema in the background.

Cheers for the comments :)

While I applaud the overall concept and execution, I can't help but wonder if ripping something into two halves is the symbolic antithesis of marriage!

As a designer, I'd feel relatively happy with the concept but wouldn't be able to shake off the feeling that a better solution would involve joining, not separating.

While I applaud the overall concept and execution, I can't help but wonder if ripping something into two halves is the symbolic antithesis of marriage!

I was about to say something similar. Having recently married myself everything is about joining together, 2 becoming 1, etc. I really like the design and idea mind :)

I think that's a little too conceptual and detached thinking. I doubt anyone involved would attribute, even at a subconscious level, that the wedding video company's business card is symbolising the failure of the marriage.

Couples may choose not to pull the card apart.. what does that symbolise?! :eek:

Aye, I've been thinking about this, and my original worries are just plain wrong.

Chances are these are going to be handed out to one half of a couple, who will then go back to their other half - and that's where the card is likely to be split. So it's actually encouraging a positive, sharing, inclusive act, rather than the divisive one I originally thought.

So yeah, fair play: good job, Russ :)

Fair point regarding the splitting of the cards and this potentially symbolising something negative, but I'm siding with simisker's last thoughts :p. The idea was always based on it just being a cinema ticket stub and whilst I have seen the divorce lawyer one it never sprung to mind the connection. Hopefully as you say this is too subliminal, and the message of sharing the card between too is equally subliminal/balancing.

Looks great. But the "ido / Ido" is inconsistent.

How so? Our logo is lower case but written it's uppercase apart from obvious exceptions such as the domain name and email address.

That's fantastic.

You should submit that to some design inspiration sites like Smashing Magazine and Design Follow. While they may not be your target audience, they will get you a shed load of traffic which will get your name out there.

Cheers Spunkey. And yes, may well do :)

Our other business is creative corporate/commercial films so I may well copy the card idea for that side which would be more suited to posting on design sites etc.

Cheers for all the positive and constructive comments guys :)

Back
Top Bottom