Business Development Apprenticeship-advice please

Soldato
I applied for a Business Development Apprentice on the basis that the company sounds really exciting and interesting. But I am 30 years old with my only experience is in warehouse and care homes.
I think I have an equal chance as anyone else applying to get an interview as its an apprenticeship, so I'm not worried about that. Its what happens if I do get it and end up being terrible at it and not have the confidence to do certain tasks.
Like I said its completely alien to me, but the impression I get is that I will be supported. I don't know if I should link it but ill copy and paste some stuff:

Apprenticeship level: Intermediate Level Apprenticeship

You will be responsible for assisting the Managing Director in growing the business. The role is varied, and would include liaising with Customers & Suppliers, a small amount of Data Entry (Invoices), Market Research and some PA duties.

Although dealing with the “paperwork” will form the majority of your role with us. It doesn’t take up more than 10% of your working week as we don’t have hundreds of supplier and customer invoices to put on to the system. This means you will have the chance to help develop the business further through Market Research – this could also involve finding Trade Shows to attend and organising our stand.
organising the Directors Diary and making sure the Software Development Schedule is kept up to date.
we also run a small Amazon Store – the management of which could be passed over to you once you are familiar with the systems behind it and confident in dealing with our Suppliers and Customers.
As the business grows, you can expand in to other areas of the business, or focus on particular areas as more staff are taken on.
Full training will be provided so you will not be expected to do everything from day 1.
Personal qualities: Be able to work on their own initiative (once they are confident), work as part of a very small team.
Qualifications required: GCSEs in English Language and ideally in Mathematics or equivalents.
Qualifications I will gain.
Level 2 Diploma in Business Administration
Functional Skills in Numeracy, Communication and ICT
ERR (Employment Rights and Responsibilities)
PLTS (Personal Learning and Thinking Skills)

Soldato
OP
The apprenticeship runs for 12 months but of course on terrible money, which I can put up if I get a job with the company after. The company is small but growing quite quickly so that's quite exciting. With the apprenticeship it does say that they are looking for a manager at the end for the right candidate.
I currently work in a job I actually really like and its walking distance, but its terrible pay and the few advances in that field I don't have any interest for.

Soldato
Could you not just get a business development roll at another company? To me this sounds like they are just taking the pee a little and taking advantage of the government apprentice scheme for a roll which should pay at least £20k basic.

Man of Honour
Could you not just get a business development roll at another company? To me this sounds like they are just taking the pee a little and taking advantage of the government apprentice scheme for a roll which should pay at least £20k basic.

This was my first thought on reading the spec. An apprenticeship should be about teaching the apprentice, not simply using the apprentice as an underpaid normal member of staff.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah - there's no "manager" job at the end of 12 months. They'll get rid of you and take another "apprentice" on.

Back
Top Bottom