Business laptop that will run Linux

Soldato
I'm looking for a replacement laptop since my old one broke. I won't be playing any games on it but I'll be doing Microsoft Office, web browsing, listening to music from my headphones (Bluetooth) and some programming. I don't have much money to spend but I was wondering if anyone could make some suggestions. I would like to run Windows 10 in a virtual machine so I can use Word, Excel and PowerPoint but the main operating system will be OpenSUSE LEAP.

Man of Honour
DELL XPS or Lenovo Thinkpad - Both companies sell Linux versions so they should have excellent Linux support even if you buy the Windows version. I know most about the Thinkpads and the T, X and P series are very good. I can't vouch for the cheaper consumer Lenovo laptops; I'm only talking about the Thinkpad range.

Soldato
OP
DELL XPS or Lenovo Thinkpad - Both companies sell Linux versions so they should have excellent Linux support even if you buy the Windows version. I know most about the Thinkpads and the T, X and P series are very good. I can't vouch for the cheaper consumer Lenovo laptops; I'm only talking about the Thinkpad range.

The Lenovo Thinkpad does look good. I like the look of the Ryzen version. It is a bit more than I was hoping to pay but hopefully with good Linux support it should last for a long time. I haven't looked at the Dell XPS though so that might be another option.

Man of Honour
The Lenovo Thinkpad does look good. I like the look of the Ryzen version. It is a bit more than I was hoping to pay but hopefully with good Linux support it should last for a long time. I haven't looked at the Dell XPS though so that might be another option.
Spot on. The T14 AMD or T14s AMD are great.

T14s is very slightly thinner and lighter with a slightly larger battery than the T14. But the T14 is cheaper and has one upgradable RAM slot (T14s needs to be bought with all RAM - soldered). There are normally more options on the Lenovo site but they look out of stock for most configurations. So if it's not urgent then wait. e.g. The T14s AMD also comes in a 32gb 4750 version which has dropped off their site due to lack of stock. But it will be back. DOn't consider the Intel version unless you need Thunderbolt. For almost everything else the Ryzen version is better.

Back
Top Bottom