Business management software?

Soldato
A non-technically-minded friend has asked me to look into a solution to aid his business, or more accurately sort out the bloody mess that he's got himself into with systems.

The business in question is a B2B wholesaler and currently resides somewhere around the Stone Age when it comes to the technology employed in running the operation.

At the moment they are using a very broken version of Sage to run the invoicing matters and process orders, but this has little or no information regarding stock levels, prices or anything else that would be useful - this information is technically seen as being 'variable' depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Consequently, they've got no idea what stock they've actually got to sell customers until the orders are recorded on Sage and printed off and sent down to the warehouse for picking. Stock isn't allocated, so the last few boxes of something might get promised to one customer and then taken by another, prices are all over the shop and any consideration for CRM is, er, not considered.

So far, so typical for a small business, eh?

What he's looking for is a solution that will manage the three main aspects of the business: Invoicing/Accounts, Inventory/Stock Control and Sales/E-Commerce.

Is there anything out there, which is both affordable and not too complicated for someone that's not particularly technically-minded, that will manage the three aspects of the business and, if possible, link them all together so they can share information easily?

Feel free to fire any and all questions at me to try and narrow down the options - I've probably missed out vital information somewhere in this little preamble.

i cannot recommend this enough.. I use it everyday and it really is the dogs bits and pieces
My only concern, if that's the appropriate term, is that there seems to be rather a lot of functionality missing from the basic package.

As an example, if you want to connect Kashflow to an e-commerce site you have to use one of a number of third-party add-ons. The same goes if you want to link it up to some form of CRM module.

Is that generally the norm with these sorts of things, or am I being somewhat naive with how I think it ought to work out of the box?

Various versions of Sage (and just about any other Financial Management suite) will do all of this. It sounds to me that technology wont be the answer on its own though. It really sounds like the business owner needs to change or improve on his methods/routines/processes and bolt on a better financial system on top.
Sage does seem to do most of the essential tasks but relies upon being kept updated, which is something that said MD doesn't seem particularly keen on doing - part of the reason that it currently doesn't accurately track inventory is that said MD gets stock delivered and doesn't tell anyone about it.

He's one of those people that considers calling one of his suppliers and having a load of stuff delivered without any paperwork is the same as raising a PO on the system, printing it off, allocating stock and receiving inventory once delivered.

He may need to consider bringing someone in to tidy up and document his processes and then consider getting his Sage setup properly to map to those processes. This doesnt have to be overkill but it sounds like someone needs to give him a nudge in the right direction.
The ultimate solution would be to get rid of the MD and implement some sort of order amongst the general chaos that is the day-to-day running of this business. Alas, that's not going to happen.

Something that can be immediately done is find an easier, smarter and generally better way of running things so the staff can run the business without having to involve the MD too much.

I personally like the idea of something that is stored in the cloud and doesn't rely on a central server to be operational so the business can run - Kashflow seems to tick that particular box, but it also requires a fair few additional bits to be bolted on before it can do everything.

i dont see the issue with taking the basic kashflow functionality and bolting on extra bits that you need.
One immediate issue I can see with Kashflow is that it doesn't seem to handle large volumes of individual products with their own little intricacies.

I'm used to systems such as Sage where you can create products; assign prices, stock levels, product codes, weights, packs sizes, etc; and add those to your chosen invoice/order.

Kashflow doesn't seem to work like that, or at least as far as I can see.

i dont think you will find any one solution that will everything you want in one "out of the box" package.
Bugger.

he needs sage training, sage has all the stuff in built. just needs to use it properly.
The MD needs dragging out into the street and shooting, but that's not going to happen. He'll go bankrupt long before that if things go as they currently are!

At the higher up range of the budget you have BrightPearl. Fantastic bit of kit and Ive implemented it into small businesses which has saved them having to employ an admin/bookkeeper.
Now that looks like the business - on paper it seems to do everything you'd want it to.

Naturally I'm suspicious of such an ideal solution; are there any glaring issues with Brightpearl or would you give it an unequivocal thumbs up?

Back
Top Bottom