Business Website

Soldato
My wifes setting up a business and needs a fairly basic website created. Just a home page, and about her page and then links to her facebook page and to upload pictures and news.

I did a quick search and found a comment saying that Go Daddy suck which made me wonder who was recommended?

My mum creates websites and had previously made one in dreamweaver but I think my wife wants something a lot simpler that she can just log into an online server and update things easily.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, I agree that wordpress seems to be the wat forward here, just wasn't sure of the best way to go about hosting it.

I've got my mums help so don't mind going to separate providers for ease. Just didn't want to be stung with £15 a month charges from someone like 1and1!

Soldato
OP
Great, thanks guys. I think I’m more than capable (Big words!) of sorting out the domain and hosting myself so will definitely explore those options.

For the wordpress side, am I right in thinking that I still create the actual site on the wordpress site, using their themes etc and then migrate that over to another hosting company? If so how does Wordpress actually make any money from the service?

Soldato
OP
Cheers Hutchy, after downloading Wordpress I'm not sure whether I have the time/inclination to learn how to do what I need which started to point towards Wix/Squarespace.

Annoyingly they charge an extra premium for an email address. Is there another way to get a domain linked email without paying around an extra $50/yr?

Soldato
OP
find a free wordpress template you like (or buy one)

Create a word doc that lays out what pages you want and the content/images.

Fire it over to me along with an admin account login/password and i'll spend an hour getting it sorted for you. Or a little longer if you've nothing set up at all yet :)

Seriously, it is super easy to use once it's initially set up :)

That's insanely generous of you, although we've not really got much of an idea of layout/content in mind yet.

I've been doing some further reading and have setup a pretty basic Wordpress site on their regular site (www.silverbirchhydrotherapy.wordpress.com) which I think helps show me I can get something going at least to use as a starting point.

I'll sign up with a hosting company and see how I get and just use you guys if I get stuck rather than throwing in the towel entirely :)

EDIT - Am I right in thinking that if I create something from scratch and host it myself, it won't include the "Blog at wordpress" and theme links at the bottom?

Soldato
OP
Weebly again seems a lot more (cost wise) than manual hosting.

I've purchased a doman and signed up for the free 000webhost account but looks like the free email accounts are limited to 20mb which is pretty much bugger all. Think I'll go with Vidahost as mentioned above. Unless there are any other free ones with slightly better storage limits?

EDIT – Say I bought a domain name (.co.uk) and Vidahosts offer a free domain with their hosting services. How would I go about getting the .com version free with the host and then point my registered .co.uk towards the .com site to get the best of both .co.uk and .com domains?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nice one guys.

I'm all set up. Domain is sorted and host is sorted along with a very basic thing created so far while my wife and I play with themes.

One question though. My domain is www.silverbirchhydrotherapy.co.uk. The wordpress is set up on www.silverbirchhydrotherapy.co.uk/wp

How do I set the wordpress part to be on the main URL? I thought I'd found the right bit in the settings but no luck.

Back
Top Bottom