Busted wheel nuts, advice please!

Soldato
My Primera has got some BK 238 after market wheel on, which use a tuner style nuts (uses a hex key).

Unfortuantely ***** motors used a power tool to tighten them up with, and have trashed the hex part of the nut, the hex key fits, but don't grip the nut properly.

I've been recomended to try getting a bigger hex key, a lump hammer...and well, taking my agression out on it to fit the bigger hex key into the nut.

Is there any way of getting these off without wrecking the alloy/hub?

Man of Honour
gobbo said:
My Primera has got some BK 238 after market wheel on, which use a tuner style nuts (uses a hex key).

Unfortuantely ***** motors used a power tool to tighten them up with, and have trashed the hex part of the nut, the hex key fits, but don't grip the nut properly.

I've been recomended to try getting a bigger hex key, a lump hammer...and well, taking my agression out on it to fit the bigger hex key into the nut.

Is there any way of getting these off without wrecking the alloy/hub?

what you want is a lump hammer, take it down to the garage and whack their wheel monkey with it till they get it off and give you a new set of locking nuts the numpteys!

Soldato
OP
I've already complained, and got my £15 back for a puncture repair.

I sure as hell won't be going back there though.

Associate
Where was this? The one at the bottom of city road?

I've got access to a lump hammer and long braker bar (though only 1 hex socket) if you decide to go down that route and need a hand.

Otherwise perhaps the garage up city road whose done odd welding bits for me before could weld something onto it to get if off?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I would say a bigger hex but because it won't fit in the original size get a grinder and taper it down a bit and then hammer it really hard into the bolt.

Other than that you could try applying heat with a welding torch that might break it free enough to get it undone with the original sized hex, or you may have to drill the end of the bolt off to get the wheel off.

I'd be pretty annoyed at this and make the old tyre place do it. Idiots.

Soldato
OP
I might have to get some assistance from Trickle on this one (if thats ok??)

Drilling is a no no really, as this would involve removing the hub assembly from the car, drilling it, replacing with new hub and re-attaching all the gubbins to it. Which I don't feel mechanically confident to do

Back
Top Bottom