Buy a new PC or upgrade parts?

Associate
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about upgrading my computer for a while now. I think it's getting quite old. I bought it almost exactly 8 years ago, but I have upgraded the RAM and upgraded the graphics card because the old one broke due to bad maintenance on my part.
I bought it with advice from this forum, back when I was really into games. I still really enjoy them, but not as much anymore due to lack of time. If possible I would prefer upgrading as I see it as the cheaper option, but I understand buying a new computer would probably be better since this one is quite old.

In any case, here are the specs:

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6800 1GB Graphics Card
Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz
MSI P55-CD53 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance DDR3,1600-16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply
Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

All advice welcome, thanks a lot for your time and help!

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about upgrading my computer for a while now. I think it's getting quite old. I bought it almost exactly 8 years ago, but I have upgraded the RAM and upgraded the graphics card because the old one broke due to bad maintenance on my part.
I bought it with advice from this forum, back when I was really into games. I still really enjoy them, but not as much anymore due to lack of time. If possible I would prefer upgrading as I see it as the cheaper option, but I understand buying a new computer would probably be better since this one is quite old.

In any case, here are the specs:

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6800 1GB Graphics Card
Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz
MSI P55-CD53 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance DDR3,1600-16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply
Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

All advice welcome, thanks a lot for your time and help!
What's your budget?

Hmmm, not looking to spend more than 800 euros/700 pounds. For that amount I would have to do some saving, and with the Christmas period coming up that wont be this month.. Haha
If I could keep it at a few parts for less money I could get to shopping right away.

Hmmm, not looking to spend more than 800 euros/700 pounds. For that amount I would have to do some saving, and with the Christmas period coming up that wont be this month.. Haha
If I could keep it at a few parts for less money I could get to shopping right away.

honestly , would by new pc or core parts .
most games now require over 1GB of Vram and sit at an average of 2.1Gb for medium settings 1080p , though might be wrong by .02 -/+
First gen i core was much better then Core 2 but 3rd gen really ironed out everything with the design, just a shame from then its been very very small changes :(
least now, intel have got their act together and increased core counts so i3's are now 4 cores and Non K versions have had their speeds bumped up greatly .
AMD is also finally back in the game with ryzen, which when overclocked to 3.7/8ghz and paired with 3000hz ram offers which incredible value to money and lots of threads!

guessing you game at 1080p 60hz?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £697.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

and switch of teams , but £20 over

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £720.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

think others may question age of PSU...

Back
Top Bottom