Buying a domain just for email

Soldato
Figured now I'm job hunting, I'd spend a little cash just to get myself a <name> domain to use for emails, then giving me the possibility of moving on to buying some web space in the future if I ever get the urge to do something like that.

I've had a look around, and there seem to be a ton of different sites I can buy the domain from, but aside from knowing that godaddy are worse than the plague, who would you recommend going with? As it is purely for the domain name, does it even matter? Looking at 123 I can get a .co.uk for £3.49/year, which seems good to me.

Also, how easy would it be to use google apps to handle the email, as I'm used to gmail and like having its search function. Thanks!

It's very easy. Once you've got your domain (I'd suggest Vidahost, and then if you want they can provide hosting for it in the future too) the Google site runs you through setting up your apps with the domain. Free up to 10 users too.

Figured now I'm job hunting, I'd spend a little cash just to get myself a <name> domain to use for emails, then giving me the possibility of moving on to buying some web space in the future if I ever get the urge to do something like that.

I've had a look around, and there seem to be a ton of different sites I can buy the domain from, but aside from knowing that godaddy are worse than the plague, who would you recommend going with? As it is purely for the domain name, does it even matter? Looking at 123 I can get a .co.uk for £3.49/year, which seems good to me.

Also, how easy would it be to use google apps to handle the email, as I'm used to gmail and like having its search function. Thanks!

some of the basic packages are VERY hard to make work with google apps, the issue is verification...

you need to check its doable with the package you are going to buy, or that you can downgrade the package (ie buy a full 9 a month package verify google apps then downgrade it for hte next month)

Buy the domain at 123-reg.co.uk, sign up to Google Apps, adjust the MX records and you're good to go. Setting it up is very easy, just follow the instructions Google gives you.

Google Apps is free for the first 10 users: http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html

Then when you need web space just sign up someone like vidahost or TSO and keep your mail with Google

does that work? last time I tried it I was unable to get it to work,

they removed the MX verification - I was able to find it with a bit of searching, however now I cannot find out how to initiate it at all now...

does that work? last time I tried it I was unable to get it to work,

they removed the MX verification - I was able to find it with a bit of searching, however now I cannot find out how to initiate it at all now...

When I signed up about a year ago it took me through all the MX verification and gave me the correct MX records, no problems at all. Not sure if they have changed something since then?

Hmm, thanks for the feedback. So, is 123 good to go with or not? Had a quick google and found this, which means I can change the MX records, so there should be no problem?
That said, vidahost would be cheaper, which is always good! But its harder to get the gmail set up with them?

Last edited:
Hmm, thanks for the feedback. So, is 123 good to go with or not? Had a quick google and found this, which means I can change the MX records, so there should be no problem?
That said, vidahost would be cheaper, which is always good! But its harder to get the gmail set up with them?

not sure if that works, some one who has done it recently needs to confirm if doing that negates the need to "verify" inside google apps that you own the domain - it offers txt record, website file upload and google analytics methods... I'm sure it does not and you have to find the hidden link to verify using MX

HOWEVER (confirm with 123-reg first) you can probably upgrade your account perform the verification using file upload to web site then downgrade the account so you only pay for 1 month at £9 (or what ever)

Must admit it's been a while since I verified and fairly sure I used the MX method, so if they've remove that you may need hosting.

Could just get some hosting anyway, it's not mega expensive and you can put up a simple presence in the meantime before you build a website?

Looking at the prices, Vidahost and domainmonster seem pretty much identical. Looking at the two sites, I'm leaning towards vidahost as the website seems more professional and tidier, plus it has a few people in here vouching for it.

Is it simple enough to do the MX stuff with them as well?

Back
Top Bottom