Buying a monitor from the U.S

Associate
hey all, im looking to buy a dell 2407 from the U.S as its about £300 cheaper, but i'm worried about the import tax (how much will that be?) because I got my 4800+ from U.S and it cost me £100 to get it into the UK. Also what happens with the different power connections ect?

Cheers

Associate
OP
update: after some google'in iv found this info...

United Kingdom
TARIFF RESOURCES: April 2006 Tariff Schedule from the International Customs Tariff Bureau or European Union Customs Web Site
TAX: There is a value added tax of 17.5 percent for most products. Some products, such as basic necessities and foodstuffs, qualify for a reduced rate of 0-5 percent. The tax is applied on CIF + duty.

17.5 percent of £350 = £61.25

So the screen would cost me just over £400

-----------------------------

Does this info seem right or wrong to anyone?

Associate
Is there not a difference between VAT and Import duty? I thought there was and that VAT was on the full price (item + import duty).

I do remember seeing on the Revenue and Excise web-site some list of items (about 20 pages) with the appropriate code and tax levels.. I'll have a look around

And here's the link I was looking for (HMRC Website) The Common Internet Goods document is the one you want.

From reading this, Monitors (i.e. they cannot display video images) are free of duty but 17.5 % VAT should be added whilst Monitors that can display video images are liable for 14% duty and *then* 17.5% VAT...

In fact - that document is really funny. I wonder how much time and money is wasted by HMRC trying to figure out what duty should be charged!

Last edited:
Suspended
Pay 17.5% VAT and 4% import duty, plus £10 courier admin charge. You'll also need a 150W stepdown transformer if the Dell PSU isn't autoswitching (roughly £30-£40 for this) Plus the hassle if it gets damaged in transport.

Associate
You don't pay the 4% import duty. There is *no* import duty on monitors if they can only display computer outputs. If it displays both (or probably, standard connections for both - such as VGA *and* s-video in) then I think you'll pay 14% import duty.

4% import duty is only payed for imitation jewels..

Suspended
elite said:
didnt you read my last post?

You posted it as I was typing. Anyway check the Dell internal PSU is autoswitching. I've bought things from US & China, both components had auto switching powersupplies, so will run off 110v and 240v without any issues.

Suspended
Just be aware that you do not have any warranty of any kind. With Dell's attitude towards customers you're stuck if it's DOA.

I would only buy an expensive electrical item from a company that gives a hoot (in my case they will actually pay for return shipping and will send out another before you even send the faulty one back, and give a gift for the hassle)

Associate
squiffy said:
Just be aware that you do not have any warranty of any kind. With Dell's attitude towards customers you're stuck if it's DOA.

I would only buy an expensive electrical item from a company that gives a hoot (in my case they will actually pay for return shipping and will send out another before you even send the faulty one back, and give a gift for the hassle)
Please label any manufacturers that do that please ;)

Back
Top Bottom