Buying a second hand car; £7k

Associate
Hello! First post here; hoping to get some tips with my purchase. Main points/criteria for the car I'm looking are:
  • Budget: £7k
  • Mileage: 70k max.
  • Fuel: Petrol (reasoning further down)
  • Car to be bought from the UK and then driven to Malta (basically a small city) where it will be used regularly for the foreseeable future (at least 5 years).
  • As clean as possible; as efficient (mpg) as possible (apart from running costs, there's a registration tax for imported vehicles in Malta).
  • Year: I'm going by the assumption that the newer the car is, the better the car is. Open to other opinions/facts though.
The reason I'm going for petrol is based on readings I read where it seems petrol engines are better for low yearly mileage (I would average less than 10k/year) and constant start/stop (lots of this in Malta).

Based on the above, I'm leaning towards a 2014/2015 Ford Focus Ecoboost (various models - the 1.0 T ecoboost zetec seems to fit almost all of those criterias). Having also owned an older Ford Focus for over a decade with no problems whatsoever, I'm hoping it'll be the same with a newer version.

I'm also aware of an apparent recurring coolant failure with ecoboost engines that Ford have issued a recall for, which will probably involve extra checks from my end.

Having explained all the above, am I on the right track or am I missing some basic points?

Thanks in advance!

Don
Based on the above, I'm leaning towards a 2014/2015 Ford Focus Ecoboost (various models - the 1.0 T ecoboost zetec seems to fit almost all of those criterias). Having also owned an older Ford Focus for over a decade with no problems whatsoever, I'm hoping it'll be the same with a newer version.

What MPG are you expecting? I've owned a 125bhp 2012 Focus Ecoboost 1.0T for 2 and a half years now, and whilst reliable and reasonably economical, realistically you won't see much more than 45mpg out of it (especially with short runs)

I'm also aware of an apparent recurring coolant failure with ecoboost engines that Ford have issued a recall for, which will probably involve extra checks from my end.

You can check for any outstanding recalls/field work needed at: http://www.etis.ford.com

Soldato
The 1.6 is the one to go for tbh, more power and seems to be the most reliable. You won't see a massive difference in mpg in the real world, even my Fiesta ST used to get 40mpg.

Last edited:
Soldato
a quick search on AutoTrader

Volkswagen UP! 1.0 BlueMotion

Alfa Romeo Mito 0.9 TB TwinAir Sportiva 3dr

Skoda Citigo 1.0 MPI SE ASG 5dr

Toyota Aygo 1.0 VVT-i x-play x-shift 5dr

Toyota Auris 1.8 T Spirit 5dr

Fiat 500 0.9 TwinAir Lounge Dualogic 3dr

Citroen C1 1.0 VTi Flair ETG 5dr

Peugeot 108 1.2 PureTech Feline 5dr

Renault Clio 0.9 TCe ECO Dynamique MediaNav (s/s) 5dr

Associate
OP

That's quite an interesting alternative. Will definitely have a look.

toyota auris?
Oooh - haven't even thought about that. Will also have a look.

What MPG are you expecting? I've owned a 125bhp 2012 Focus Ecoboost 1.0T for 2 and a half years now, and whilst reliable and reasonably economical, realistically you won't see much more than 45mpg out of it (especially with short runs)
Probably anything that does at least 40mpg (short runs mostly) unless I'm being unrealistic?

Caporegime
That's quite an interesting alternative. Will definitely have a look.

Oooh - haven't even thought about that. Will also have a look.

Probably anything that does at least 40mpg (short runs mostly) unless I'm being unrealistic?

auris excels at short runs - it's a petrol hybrid.

if you use it correctly you could hit a lot more than 40 mpg i think we average 50mpg on mixed driving. other people have managed higher. we don't have the auris though we have it's more expensive brother. the lexus ct200h. however both are essentially the same engine wise i believe.

also brakes last forever as it uses special braking to recharge battery. it's toyota so reliable compared to french alternatives, etc.

it's also a decent size. a lot of the cars being mentioned in the above list are tiny with tiny engines. this has a decent sized engine with no turbo. so should in theory be much more reliable.

honestly the auris is the only car to choose from that list posted above.

Don
a lot of the cars being mentioned in the above list are tiny with tiny engines. this has a decent sized engine with no turbo. so should in theory be much more reliable.

Because Hybrid systems have bulletproof reliability?

If 40mpg is acceptable than even a 1.8 Civic will manage that (whilst not having either a Turbo or a fancy Hybrid system to worry about)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807038080418

Caporegime
Because Hybrid systems have bulletproof reliability?

If 40mpg is acceptable than even a 1.8 Civic will manage that (whilst not having either a Turbo or a fancy Hybrid system to worry about)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807038080418

i'd take my chances with a 1.8 hybrid engine than a 0.8 to 1 litre car from the list above.

which is why you have opted for a 1.8 civic. those tiny engines are just no good on the motorway. you will be ragging them to keep them going which will likely do harm.

also the lexus ct200h which uses the same system as the auris was voted the most reliable car in 2017. so yeah i'd say their system is as bulletproof as bulletproof gets with cars.

also being totyota. lots of spares available from breakers, etc.

i believe that is why BMW done a deal with toyota all those years ago to collaborate on the z4/supra. toyota get their engine tech. bmw got their hybrid tech. this was then used towards making the i3 and i8, etc. bmw realised toyota were world leaders in hybrid tech and decided to form a partnership which worked for both of them.

Soldato
And yet I drive a 1.0 Ecoboost Focus :) (which surprisingly doesn't need "ragging" on the Motorway, and hasn't blown up yet)
The Focus does have 6 Gears. However, a lot of those little city cars are only 5 Gears... But also are designed for the city so only need 5 Gears.

@theka0tix What mileage are you doing a year? What driving mix? I really like the Ecoboost Focus, to be honest. Pleasent enough place to be. Easy to drive and feels plenty nippy enough

Soldato
i'd take my chances with a 1.8 hybrid engine than a 0.8 to 1 litre car from the list above.

which is why you have opted for a 1.8 civic. those tiny engines are just no good on the motorway. you will be ragging them to keep them going which will likely do harm.

also the lexus ct200h which uses the same system as the auris was voted the most reliable car in 2017. so yeah i'd say their system is as bulletproof as bulletproof gets with cars.

also being totyota. lots of spares available from breakers, etc.

i believe that is why BMW done a deal with toyota all those years ago to collaborate on the z4/supra. toyota get their engine tech. bmw got their hybrid tech. this was then used towards making the i3 and i8, etc. bmw realised toyota were world leaders in hybrid tech and decided to form a partnership which worked for both of them.

I don't think Toyota/Lexus need engine tech from anyone:p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The Focus does have 6 Gears. However, a lot of those little city cars are only 5 Gears... But also are designed for the city so only need 5 Gears.

@theka0tix What mileage are you doing a year? What driving mix? I really like the Ecoboost Focus, to be honest. Pleasent enough place to be. Easy to drive and feels plenty nippy enough

I will be averaging around 10k/year.

Back
Top Bottom