Buying a used car for son

Associate
Was thinking of getting one from a dealer but have found a local private seller who is the second keeper and seems to have maintained the car in very good condition with FSH and clear MOT's for the last 5 years (not even a single advisory). Will do some basic checks and hopefully get to drive the car to get a feel of the suspension/steering. Do you think I should buy a full vehicle check (I have checked that it's not CATS/N).

Associate
OP
Always worth doing a HPI if thats what mean, should be all good otherwise

That's what I mean. What other info will the HPI check provide? It hasn't been written off, can't believe there will be any outstanding finance as it's 6 years old (would be illegal anyway to sell it afaik)

Associate
OP
My previous experience from a
If you buy private, bring a mechanic along.
Caveat emptor

I did pay an AA mechanic to do a check previously and it was a complete waste of money. Aircon did not work, strut leaking (described as "misty"). Will explore other options.

Associate
OP
Had a look at the car and looks in very good condition with full service record, clear MOT. The seller however is not the registered keeper. Bought the car from a family friend recently. Should I ask that I meet at least with the registered keeper (confirm ID etc)? Reason for not registering is that he was going to sell the car anyway once the one he ordered arrived.

Associate
OP
All ok. Now looking to buy some mechanical protection warranty. Any recommendations? Got a quote from a local dealer of £600 for 2 years.

Associate
OP
Warranties rarely tend to be worth the paper they're written on.

The one that the local dealer has offered, has he provided you with a list of exemptions and things that they will cover. You'll typically find any component that degrades through wear and tear wil not be covered.

The usual "it covers everything that is not the expected wear and tear" but I asked for the detailed policy so I can have a good read as i don't trust verbal reassurances that there is no early claims excess, or the cost of diagnostics is covered, or consequential damage cover is included etc. If true it seems a good offer.

Associate
OP
Received a call from dealer apologising for the car not being ready for collection (4 days after payment). Should i ask for my money back until the car is actually ready to collect?

Back
Top Bottom