Buying photoshop actions - worth it?

Soldato
Soldato
I've bought brushes [the best by far being Kyle Brushes ] but never actions.

Having said that, I'm seriously tempted by those just to have them in my arsenal - they look ace. For roughly 3 quid each? Bargain! Even if you use one just once, compared to the amount of hours it would take to learn and then competently do it would pay for itself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same here, never paid for actions before but they look great and would save a huge amount of time figuring out how they worked and how to get the same effect, Might well give them a spin myself.

Soldato
The problem with actions is that whilst many of them are very clever and can save you a lot of time, many of them have a very distinctive result that is hard to customise. So if you were after something unique you might be disappointed to see that effect appearing everywhere if it's a popular acrion.

Some actions allow you to adjust the effects to taste as the process goes along, others are fully automated and don't (although you can usually edit the action if you know what you're doing).

Ideally try before you buy, although that isn't always an option of course. There's lots of free acions out there though which often do much the same thing as the paid ones.

Back
Top Bottom