Bye Bye Game!

They do this all the time for some reason, in Belfast theres 2 game stores within 2 minutes walk of each other. I dunno wtf the thinking behind having stores clustered together was.

In Stoke Potteries shopping centre there is one literally on top of the other. Same place, similar size, just a floor higher.
Afaik it is where one used to an Electronics Boutique and the other a GAME.
A similar thing can be said for Gamestation and GAME in a lot of places.

Both sold games at their maximum RRP, had staff who did not know about computer/console games and never had any decent deals ever.

Caporegime
I have only bought one game in a Gamestation store, that was Company of Heroes on day of release. To be fair, the fact that I am a gamer and barely bought anything in there is indicative of their sorry state of affairs.

I bought a copy of Company of Heroes in game and it has no serial number included, they had to go through several copies to find one that had a serial number. Some screw up at the place making the manuals appartently :p

What used to really used to **** me off with GAME is they put the cd/dvd in the manual and keep it in the drawer away from the case (which went on the shelf).

So I go along and pay RRP for a new game (this was 2002, before I really used the internet a lot) - Tony Hawks 4 I think it was (Xbox). The dvd was scratched to bits and looked 2nd hand because some retard had not been careful with it.

Permabanned
What used to really used to **** me off with GAME is they put the cd/dvd in the manual and keep it in the drawer away from the case (which went on the shelf).

So I go along and pay RRP for a new game (this was 2002, before I really used the internet a lot) - Tony Hawks 4 I think it was (Xbox). The dvd was scratched to bits and looked 2nd hand because some retard had not been careful with it.
It was probably a preowned tony hawks 4 :D

It was probably a preowned tony hawks 4 :D

None it was new as it had just come out :(.
The bloke had to check 3 or 4 different copies of the game before he found one that wasn't scratched.
If I pay for a new game, especially when it is the RRP price, I want it sealed.

It wasn't too bad though - 2003 came, I got broadband and chipped the Xbox, but that is another story :p.

I haven't bought anything from GAME for years. I have used GAME online a few times though in the past.

Soldato
tbh they aren't really missing out on much by going under now. If it wasn't now, it would be soon. It's not going to be long before most things are download only. Consoles can be sold in electronic shops and supermarkets.

Associate
Picked up 14 360 games in a combination of game/gamestation in london today.
grand total was £44.
A few were £5 each but most were £2.99 or under.
These were all preowned games but for that money who wouldnt eh?

Soldato
I currently have a 360 with no games at all, haven't played on it in over a year, so I might go back tomorrow and see if I can stock up on a few.

Associate
My local Game store in Stafford have brilliant staff. Always very friendly, helpful and I can't praise them highly enough. While I've been in other branches (including both in the Potteries center in Stoke as mentioned earlier in the thread), the staff have mostly been great. There's the odd exception, but I don't get the hate towards them in some places. It really hasn't matched my experience.
Yes, I know that you can get cheaper online, and I think Steam is great, but I like going in to a store and looking at physical boxes. It's why I have CD's, DVD's, games and books on far too many shelves, rather than a couple of 2TB hard drives. The real thing looks great, and isn't subject to bad sectors. :p

Best wishes to all the staff, I really hope for the best for everyone involved.

ps, I know there was Electronics Boutique, but what was the other one who's logo was a head that looked like Kryten? Future Zone, or something like that?

Associate
Possibly. I remember going into the one in Nottingham (opposite a Pizza Hut) several times, and I think I've been in others. Gamezone does sound familiar though. Does it have a robot/polygon looking head as their logo?

Caporegime
I still remember wher i got my first 2 consoels, NES from woolworths around 1989, and the SNES from Leisureworld Christmas 1991, both places now defunct :(

Soldato
Glad to see the end of them to be honest. As a company they were incredably arrogant and put pretty much every other game shop out of business in the late 90s/early 2000s leaving almost no choice or competition.

Online retailers and supermarkets have in effect done to them what they gleefully did to others.

I miss EB and my friendly independent gaming shop... Bah Humbug...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom