C# Courses/books?

Caporegime
Please can anyone suggest any good courses or books for C# programming to give me a broad bit of experience in different areas, eg UI's, networking, etc, all the tutorials on the internet just seem to go through the basic principles of the language like generics, interfaces etc which as someone who has done a bit of java in the past, I'm already familiar with.

Permabanned
Dunno, never really bothered with courses. Came from a vb/asp.net background years ago and just picked it up as I went along. Its not too difficult. Helps when you have actual projects you want to work on so you can learn specifics of what you want to do. :)

Caporegime
OP
When I was at uni I found the Java course quite useful. Essentially going into detail about the features of the language and then setting challenges and going through them afterwards. Ended up creating a chess game using java swing at the end of it.

Soldato
Lots on pluralsight, maybe sign up for a while?
I learn by doing so find yourself a project. You'll find all the answers you need out there to help you along. No good doing courses really if you don't immediately use what you learn, so just learn stuff as you need to.
Working with others is a great way to learn too but of course not possible if just working on home projects. I'm working with someone who for example says they have good experience by found in their code recently they were converting an array to a list by creating a new list and iterating through the array and adding each element to the list......when all you need to do is.ToList() on the array :D. IMO they're either telling porkies or they've not worked with others before...actually think it's both. Would have sacked their **** personally as this is pretty basic stuff :)

Last edited:
Associate
C# in depth by Jon Skeet is a good book for learning the intricacies of the language if you're already a programmer.

Caporegime
OP
If you sign up for a Visual Studio Essentials account (free), one of the benefits you can take advantage of is a free 3 month subscription to PluralSight...

https://www.visualstudio.com/dev-essentials/

This course on the Microsoft Virtual Academy is a pretty good starting point...

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/16169?term=c# beginners

Oh wow 3 months is pretty cool, cheers.

I've sort of learned the basics now, just need to think where to go from here in terms of putting the skills into practice.

Back
Top Bottom