Cable management for long cables over short distances?

itm

itm

Associate
I've decided to have my (small) home office refitted, and am looking for a way of simplifying my extreme cabling situation. Looking at power cables alone I have counted 36 devices which are currently plugged into sockets. The associated power cables are currently cohabiting, with the usual assortment of video/USB/KVM/ethernet/etc cables, in a vipers' nest behind my desk.
What I'd like to do is install 4-5 large power strips/gang sockets in key locations in and around the desk, so that each appliance is in close proximity to its power socket. The issue is that each power cable will be a lot longer than the distance to the power socket, so I'll have several metres of redundant cable length to somehow manage, to avoid the re-emergence of the vipers' nest.
I could tie up the unused flex from each device into a bundle, but I'd still need to find a home for each bundle of cable. So I'd end up with 36 bundles of redundant power cable all jostling for a place in a slightly more organised vipers' nest.
I was wondering if anyone had come across a smart solution for this sort of problem - i.e. to keep cables and their unused lengths neatly arranged and to avoid an unholy mess behind the desk? I've seen cable trays/baskets which can be fitted along the rear edge of desks, but they don't seem to be large enough to accommodate a large number of long cable lengths in a short space.

Back
Top Bottom