Cables through garage wall and under path

Soldato
Im getting the drive and side path done in a few weeks time and I want to run some electrical cable, speaker wire and might throw in a network cable or 2 to future proof things.

Is there a preferred method to drill through the garage wall? I guess it needs to be above the damp course?

Then what should I use to run the cables in down the outside wall and then what to use for the section that will go under the path? I’d like the outside wall to look as neat as possible.

Finally, how deep does it need to be? It’s getting block paved if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Soldato
A few points to consider:
  • You don't want to run network / speaker cable next to mains cable. You risk interference
  • If you are doing it properly then the ducting colour convention is: black for electric, blue for water, yellow for gas, green for cable and CCTV, orange for street lighting and purple for motorway communications
  • I'd always use armoured cable for mains power. Note if it's wired to the fuseboard or a new circuit you'll need someone who is Part P. If it's just off a plug socket then you can do it yourself (not ideal)
I'd buy some flexible service ducting and run two ducts, one black and one green with a number of spare pullcords for future use.

For drilling through the wall just go through a couple of courses above the DPC using an SDS drill and bit that is big enough to get the cables through

For running the cable down the wall I'd use metal conduit as it's tidy and protects well from damage.

In terms of depth I'd make sure the top of the ducting is at least 450mm below the level of the driveway/path, so a 600mm deep trench.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the very detailed post. I’ll look into the bits you have suggested.

Does anyone know the length of drill bit that I’ll need to get through breeze block and an outer course of bricks?

Soldato
I used black sink waste pipe from my shed to Summer house - I dug it in and up outside with a 90 deg into Summerhouse and also out of the shed - One thing I found was don't use 90 deg bends where you can get swept 90deg bends in - use swept bends -(short runs are not a problem with 90's) makes cabling much easier - As said earlier run two pipes -one power one ethernet etc. - use push fit pipe and connector at joins don't tape pipes together.

This is my old summerhouse with pipe on outside - new one is now coming in underground - Usually your walls are 11" thick - A SDS drill would be helpful and you can get a cheap core drill from Toolstation - at this stage do not skimp - Duct is GOD - and duct you can put loads of cables in is even better.

414028861.jpg

Soldato
I've recently run some cable down to the gate for electric gates (and sockets) and for garden lighting.

I used armoured cable for both and ran it in 50mm high impact ESB conduit as per the electricians recommendation. I think is probably more than most people would do but it's probably safest. I'd also deliberately overrate your SWA just in case you decide to use it for an future purpose you haven't envisioned yet. It's more expensive but worth it in the long run - my neighbour had to pull up his old cable in his garden for his cabin as he decided to expand the cabins usage and the 2.5 mm sq wasn't enough. I used 2.5mm sq for lighting (1.5mm sq would have been sufficient esp as I will be using LED lighting) and 4mm sq for the gate (2.5mm sq would have been fine). Additional cores is also a good idea but expect cost to rise significantly.

Agree with Abyss on what he says,specifically running it at a depth of 45-60cm, and leaving pull cords.

I also used a long SDS drill bit to drill diagonally downwards from the inside of the garage to ensure the cables run under a concrete path outside and to stop water ingress in the interim

DXP55 is also correct about swept bends - makes things much easier esp if you can see yourself pulling cables through in the future. I have to use 90 degree joints in mine due to the complexity and the SWA was tough to pull through!

I've run 2 ethernet/network cables in the same conduit, however, they are either SFTP or SSTP (can't remember which) and so the twisted pairs are shielded and so is the whole cable.

I'll try and dig out some pics if you're interested. My gate run is about 40 metres and the lighting run is probably double that.

Soldato
OP
Thanks both for the detailed posts. Very useful.

I also used a long SDS drill bit to drill diagonally downwards from the inside of the garage to ensure the cables run under a concrete path outside and to stop water ingress in the interim

Are you saying that you would drill from the inside to under the path on the outside? Wouldn’t that go through the damp course?

Soldato
OP
Wasn’t sure if it would be an issue with water rising up the hole if it was under the path level on the outside?

Also, if I do it that way will I need to drill down to 600 on the outside? Will that be possible?

Soldato
Mark

Anything is possible if you have the tools and willpower - If it was me I would just dig a shallow trench across the path - put some duct across with as said swept bends - up the wall and then drill hole above damp course and do like I did on my summerhouse - If that doesn't appeal then dig down on garage footings and if you have the tools chop out some of the concrete footings under the wall then drill a hole in floor from the inside at a angle towards your hole then it's just a case of poking and digging till you match up the drilled hole with the dug hole - sound complicated but it isn't - as someone said above run your cables in same duct if two is to much - it's physical not technical - At the end of the day when it's all done you will WILL say thank god I did that !! It was worrying at the time but once started it was easy - Believe me.

Back
Top Bottom