Cables

Associate
I am going to be running an Ethernet cable form my Virgin router to my pc and I wondered is there any type I need to buy to give me good speeds. I hear about cat5 , cat6 or cat6a.

Any advice most welcome.

Cat5e is the most common and cheap so I would go with that. It is perfectly fast enough for you now and in the future. Just use black if you run it outside the house.

Wired should definetly lower your latency/ping time but will also keep it stable as wireless signal fluctuates. How that translates into in game experience would depend on the game and also how good/bad your wifi signal is in comparison.

You will definetly notice a difference in max download speeds as well ie near or at the maximum rate Virgin quote for you.

I have now hard wired by pc to the router instead of using wireless as advice. The price between a cat5e and a cat6 were neither here or there so I opted for a cat6. I have ran a speed test on my pc and wow suck a different as other members on here pointed out. My results were. ( 8ms ping - 222.39mbps download & 11.99mbps upload. )

Many thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom