CAD, Editing and Gaming Machine Spec

Associate
Hi all,

I've been out of the PC building loop for a few years; my last build was ~6 years ago! I'm setting off on a new business venture, for which I need a dedicated CAD PC. I'd like to make it versatile and usable for photography work (hobby) and sim gaming (driving).

Most important thing for CAD work in my experience is CPU grunt, lots of RAM and read/write speed of the SSD.

How does the below spec look? All feedback welcome, particularly SSD and RAM choice.

CPU - Intel 14700k
Mobo - ASUS Strix B760
Memory - Crucial Pro 48gb DDR5 5600mhz
PSU - Lian Li SP750 SFX Gold Rated
SSD - Crucial T500 2TB
Case - Jonsplus I100 M-ITX
Cooler - Lian Li Galahad II Trinity Performance 360mm AIO Cooler
GPU - Gainward RTX 4060Ti

Thank you,

Tom

£180 (incl. VAT)
£140 (incl. VAT)
£155 (incl. VAT)
£152 (incl. VAT)
£390 (incl. VAT)
£350 (incl. VAT)
Man of Honour
CPU - Intel 14700k
Mobo - ASUS Strix B760
The ITX B760 Strix doesn't appear to have flashback for unsupported CPU. Strange, because Strix boards usually have flashback.

I'd try and get away from the 4060 Ti 8GB and step up to a 4070.

If you're happy to do a bit of power management, you can cool a 14700K with a peerless assassin and save a bundle. You may also want to check this thread about the Galahad before you buy one.

Alternative build:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,613.88 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Cooler: this.

sim gaming (driving)
You may want to check for the games you play.., but driving games often love the X3D.

and read/write speed of the SSD
If you think it's likely to be an issue in the future, I'd suggest getting a board with a PCI-E 5.0 slot, which if you don't want to lose graphics lanes, means a switch to AM5.

lots of RAM
Since current DDR5 boards seem to dislike 4 sticks, I'd consider upping your memory to 64GB to begin with. It isn't much more money, depending on the speed.

Associate
OP
Hi Tetras,

Thank you for the reply! Interesting/scary reading on the cooler! I'm quite keen to go down the AIO route, as I've had water cooled builds in the past and just can't bring myself to go fully air cooled!

From experience, AMD chips really struggle with CAD. I'd much rather use them, but the performance difference is huge (I've no idea why). The Strix board is this one which seems to list 14th Gen Intel support - would I need a 12th Gen chip to fire it up with and update the BIOS though if it doesn't have flashback? https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b760-i-gaming-wifi-model/spec/

Are the 4070 chips a newer design and/or just far superior? I'll do some reading now!

Thanks,

Tom

Man of Honour
Are the 4070 chips a newer design and/or just far superior? I'll do some reading now!
£400 for an 8GB card that's barely any faster than the card it replaced is just insulting, that's the gist. For a creator, I'd usually suggest a 3060 12GB, unless benchmarks suggest otherwise, but since you play games too, the 4070 is a decent step up.

I don't think these benchmarks are relevant to CAD, unfortunately, but you could have a look:

This channel also does productivity benchmarks:

would I need a 12th Gen chip to fire it up with and update the BIOS though if it doesn't have flashback?
The honest answer is: I don't know.

I think what Asus and other manufacturers are doing is just sticking 14th gen in their spec (because it does technically support 14th gen), regardless of what BIOS it is actually shipping with. You can get boards designed for 14th gen, but from what we've seen so far, you're just paying £50-£100 for the privilege of a BIOS update. What I usually do to cover all bases, is avoid doing 14th gen builds for any motherboard that doesn't have flashback.

For most gens it wasn't important, since there were low-end CPUs you could get to do a BIOS update, but even a Celeron is pretty expensive for socket 1700.

Back
Top Bottom