caliper change - plugging brake line, to reduce loss/air in system/ease bleeding

Soldato
Doing a caliper change, have only previously done bleeding/fluid change with a friend pressing brake pedal - now purchased an eezibleed.

Seems to be recommended to stop excessive fluid loss by plugging undone brake line - any preferred technique ?
- DIY with ear plugs (apple buds ?) , even bits of polythene folded over end with a tie around tube
- purchase some specific hydraulic plugs eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314512770935
- ensuring there is a good vacuum on fill reservoir cap (piece of cling)
- keeping brake pedal half pressed (how ?) which will block additional fluid from reservoir getting introduced in system

I'll make a trial using eezibleed for a simple bleed first, to get familiar, before caliper change - any pitfalls in their use ?

clamp like suggested or I just usually wrap a "finger" of a rubber glove with cable tie -
thanks good idea, just looking, too, at some brake fluid friendly epdm/silicone rubber tapered bungs that should fit internal tubing diameter 3.34-4.58 mm

I use a piece of wood between the seat and brake pedal to block the supply of fluid from the reservoir.
good pic - thankyou - did that stop most of dripping ?
e: thinking of those adjustable ski poles

Last edited:
The main concern about bleeding (beyond our vatican statues) would be if the ABS unit gets air in it -
whilst I think older BMW units don't need OBD stimulation to run the ABS motor , newer units do I believe, like VAG.
I thought all the solenoids are open/free-flowing under normal operation (fail safe if power failure) so not sure why air maybe an issue.

At a minimum probably need to do a test drive and try the ABS, to avoid surprises in the field.

[
ski pole to prop the brake pedal seems to work ..
just inspected a new Halfords professional flare spanner 10/12 right .. next to an older used williams 11/13
where is this junk made .. are they forged ? look at the imperfections on the jaw face , I'm afraid it could knack a flare nut; does their lifetime guarantee reimburse me for that.

junk.jpg

]

Last edited:
In a professional situation bleeding is quick I imagine - you have car on lift/sills and whipped all 4 wheels off (I usually just have one wheel at a time !)
plus a pro bleeder, with large capacity, so greater fluid loss is less of an issue ... what do you use ?

How do you check any air in ABS system ?

sounds like if the ABS system had air you'd always get a soft pedal, even without having to test ABS

Basically just put a bungee cord around the brake lever, left it a few days, then pump the lever a few times, tie it up again, wait a few days, repeat. After about 4-5 days the system sorted itself out and was fine.
so you had to hold up the pedal ... and the air eventually migrated into the reservoir ? versus usual bleeding where you are hoping air is pushed out along with pressurized fluid

I guess abs units are designed without intentional pockets in the roof of the device that might trap air.

no do tell - I'm imagining virtual reality rehearsal for the actual work .... the weather isn't playing ball today.

but looking yesterday evening at car - seems I need to change a couple of corroded bleeds screws cracked two rears, but front two have little grip
they're now well plus gassed, but I think I will need to cut tops off and drive a small socket on ?
after getting some replacements ...
I don't understand that oem number matching parts/34116758107 I find on google all have bigger nuts 9mm than the existing 7mm of ones on there now

image.png

I had mentioned plastic ... but the electrical level detector on the cap descending into reservoir interferes a bit.

You should be able to get a deep socket on the bleed screws no problem to crack them open. A tap with a hammer should shock it off nicely. I would also invest in the proper "crow foot" type spanners for brake bleed nipples.
I had bought some line/flare/crow spanners for the other nuts in the braking system,
for the 7mm caliper nipples, a ring spanner (but its 12ogv, not secure 6) reaches over the nipple, by design, I guess;
7mm good quality flare spanners seem rare, facom/elora ranges start at 8 ! (I love the feel of the genuine facoms I have in my set)
e: handling a snapon is on the bucket list

removing stuck bleed - versus the undersize socket I am consider mole grips / bacho water pump wrench, and some heat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom