Call From A 01 Number

Associate
Hi All

I got a call beginning with 01 today and was curious, if any knows it is from the US or a scam.

Commissario
DX24;30489085 said:
Hi All

I got a call beginning with 01 today and was curious, if any knows it is from the US or a scam.

It sounds like it's a binary choice, it could have been legit or a scam.

Slightly more seriously without knowing more of the number it could be virtually anything.

Soldato
The whole number would help us more.

Generally though, a call from the US would start with +1; numbers starting in 01 tend to be UK calls.

Remember that caller IDs are easily spoofed though, so despite what your phone says, the call could actually have originated from anywhere.

Caporegime
I'm not sure what's going on with my number recently but I'm getting lots of these calls now. This was just from yesterday in the space of a few hours!

MsE2bIf.png

I have 25 numbers saved as spam now. It's getting ridiculous.

Associate
OP
Thanks.

I was potentially, not a 100% waiting for a call from the states. When I called there last week, the number to dial was 001 so seeing just 01 with no 44, from callers side, made me confused.

Soldato
Liquidfox;30490204 said:
Download TrueCaller, it auto-rejects numbers based on reports from all it's users. The database is huge!

It also reads all of your contacts and adds them into the Truecaller database. So if you have your missus as "Snugglebuns" then when other people with Truecaller are called by her they will see that. :D

It's a pretty bad app when it comes to harvesting data without people actually realising what they are giving away by installing it.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/truecaller-how-works-what-you-need-know-keith-andere

"Truecaller acts on a give and take scenario... You want those unknown numbers then you have to part with your phone book contacts.. Now apparently everyone who has installed the app has surrendered his phone book. The data is crowd-sourced from the millions of users who have downloaded the truecaller app on their smart phones. As part of the end user agreement, the truecaller app asks the user to allow access to the user's address book/contacts on the smart phone. This data is then uploaded by the app to the company's servers. After going through several data matching/refining algorithms, this data is made available to all truecaller users to search upon."

Back
Top Bottom