Calling all mac owners!

Associate
Hi,

I am considering buying a mac mini as im bored with PC's i.e. windows and would like to broaden my computer knowledge, this may seem like a studpid question but awith macs in general if you wanted to put a new dvd drive in or a new graphics card etc is there any real problems with drivers? I know the mac mini would be very hard to upgrade if at all possible,

tbh if i get mm I would just look to upgrade the ram and the Hard drive, am i likey to have problems?

thanks

Marshmule said:
Hi,

I am considering buying a mac mini as im bored with PC's i.e. windows and would like to broaden my computer knowledge, this may seem like a studpid question but awith macs in general if you wanted to put a new dvd drive in or a new graphics card etc is there any real problems with drivers? I know the mac mini would be very hard to upgrade if at all possible,

tbh if i get mm I would just look to upgrade the ram and the Hard drive, am i likey to have problems?

thanks

I think the idea with the Mini is that you buy it with the spec you want!?!? I'm not sure how easy it is to upgrade the RAM, but I'd have thought the HDD wouldn't be that easy?

LaCie do make a matching external drive, it's in an identical case and they stack very nicely together....

With the mini it has Laptop hard drives and CD drives, the RAM only has space for one stick and the graphics is onboard, I have a 1.42Ghz one though and its great for net/word :D but not something for gamers really! If you want power get a Powermac.

Lacie last year at macexpo had 1tb of raid on a mini by daisychaining 4 of there 250 GB hdd mini companion drives! it worked quite well and they had some fella using it with final cut pro doing dv editing....

theve just releced a 500GB model with fw and usb hub built in

I have just had an Intel Macmini duo to use as a media centre. I upgraded the spec when I purchased it to 1 gig of ram and a 100 gig hard drive. I bought a 250 gig Lacie hard drive that matches the Macmini to use as a storage drive.

I would suggest that you look at what software you are going to use and make sure that there is a universal binary version. If there is not then it runs via an emulator called Rosetta which slows the Mac down. I am probably going to set it up to dual boot with xp using the tools available from Apple so that I can use some of my Windows applications rather than buying new versions.

The only thing I do not like is the fact there is no right click on the mouse and it seems long winded when you want to move files or rename folders.

Peg said:
The only thing I do not like is the fact there is no right click on the mouse and it seems long winded when you want to move files or rename folders.

Was using a logitech on my macbook pro last week without any problems. I know they aren't as pretty but it works. Also the apple mighty mouse has right click functionality.

Sadly the macbook pro lasted just 7 days before it went bang!! :eek:

Jimathy said:
Was using a logitech on my macbook pro last week without any problems. I know they aren't as pretty but it works. Also the apple mighty mouse has right click functionality.

Unfortunately I bought the Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I am new to Macs but I am learning and getting used to it.

Back
Top Bottom