Camps International Ltd.

Soldato
Just been to my. girlfriends 15 year old daughters school for a presentation by this company.
http://campsinternational.com/reque...MIwLaG25H71gIV8DLTCh2dtAf_EAAYASAAEgIH_PD_BwE

They offer children trips around the world to help carry out volunteer work and adventure experiences. this particular trip was to Costa Rica in 2019 for 4 weeks.

They guy presenting was obviously a experienced sales person prromoting what a amazing and rewarding experience this would be and how it would look great on your CV etc etc.

The catch. The trip is 4k, it's pitched that the students should fundraise to pay for the trip. With a couple of payment options with the first payment of 200 being due in 2 weeks. And 200 every month after for 20 months

Personally I have huge concerns. 4 K is a large amount of money for a 15 year old, the money paid is nonrefundable. And personally I don't think students should have this financial stress in there gcse years.

I'm assuming this firm make a lot of money from students initially signing up and for one reason or another have to cancel. For me personally I think they prey on these kids and parents who don't want to say no to what on paper appears a massive opportunity.

Has anyone else had any experience with these guys? Am I being overly pessimistic?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
4 grand to go and work overseas voluntarily? Unless your kid is going to be a humanitarian worker I don't see why any employer would care about it on their CV.

They also will train her to get her padi open water dive cert but essentially yes. Personally I think she should just save and when she has the money to pay for something outright her self she can then go and book something. I'd obviously contribute a little but certainly no where near the 4k price and certainly I wouldn't be booking anything like that this close to Christmas.

I'm tempted to ask the school what the hell they think they are doing allowing this sort of promotion. There is obviously something in it for them.

Soldato
OP
It is a con. I don't care what anyone says, this is using peer pressure to get parents to fork over. This creates a massive divide between the haves and have nots. What's the bet their refund policy basically goes "lol nope soz".

From what I've researched so far. Any money you pay leading to the final due payment in may 2019 is non refundable. Like you I think. It's a con. The amount of money they must make from kids who initially sign up pay a few hundred to a couple of grand and then cannot make the payments could be huge.

I've explained to her my opinion and offered to help find alternatives for her. But she's got her set on it. Obviously I don't want to let her start and her be massively upset if it all go pest shaped. Much rather if she does want to do something. Save the money, have it ready to go and then contact charitys and find out how she can help.

Soldato
OP
This is one of the main reasons she wants to go due to being with her friends. I've explained to her there is nothing stopping her and her friends doing something different. Obviously having it done through the school is reassuring but they didn't allow them to come in and make the pitch for nothing did they..

I also think it's additional stress she doesn't need in the run up to her exams. Pretty irresponsible of the school imo.

Back
Top Bottom