• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can a game kill a GPU?

Soldato
OP
This sort of thing should not be possible anymore. For several years now GPU's have had a myriad of protections built in to stop such issues, that's why manufacturers have become so chill about overclocking and yet somehow this game manages to bypass all the safety protections and make the GPU draw enough power to kill itself

Soldato
OP
Watched the video. Im still 100% convinced software doesn't kill hardware.

I can see how game can demand full power draw, but the card should be designed to withstand any kind of punishment. Im willing to bet 3090 and maybe 3080ti are build on their physical limits, and here comes a game that's stress test the card and components go puff.

All the software can do is demand more power........ Hardware and Firmware should have set limits in place to protect themselves. I think nvidia pushed 3090 design over the line, and components cant handle the stress. I guess we will find out more in time.

Remember when 3090 as first launched and there dying cards due to issue with the poscaps on the bottom of the pcb

well maybe it's the same thing, AIB manufacturers building cards above official specifications and mating incorrect components together lik putting cheap vrm, mosfets or chokes on a 450w GPU and then the only stress testing they do is on games until one day a game comes along that pushes the card further than others and they realise the cards run outside the capability of the pcb

AIB stress test their GPU designs on public software and games - they have no way to test future software or games won't damage a gpu - the gpu should protect itself

Soldato
OP
Yep, Jay says he has reports of 6900xt and 6800xt dying as well.

As expected, the New World devs have come out and stated that yes they have got reports of GPU hardware failure and no they don't accept any responsibility.
They are saying it's user error, the user should be frame capping the game in the driver settings.... LOL

And then just now they made a second statement saying they will release a patch later today for the game that caps the framerate in the game menus

Soldato
OP
Yes this absolutely can happen, it's not the fault of the game it's a fault with the video cards being designed and tested around what is commonly expected use, rather than the extremes.

Some apps can more perfectly load the GPU than others. Most games even though they might read say 99% GPU load aren't actually making efficient use of the GPU, complex sets of instructions that utilize different parts of the GPU can be inefficient if some parts of the GPU are waiting for other instructions to finish. If you more perfectly load the GPU pipeline with work then you can cause unusually high power draw and temps which can damage either the VRMs, the GPU or overload capacitors.

This happened in the past with Furmark and I believe someone at AMD a while back called this a "power virus" because it draw abnormally large amounts of power which is not typical of games. But just because things aren't typical of games doesn't mean they can't happen in the wild, which is specifically why benchmarking tools test the extremes. If I had to bet I'd say maybe its the menu doing this, if you have a simple 2D menu that has a very simple set of instructions to draw it, and its uncapped so you have thousands of frames per second then that's a good candidate for the problem. People have said it happens after you recall to a new area and that's right as the 2D loading screen pops up to load another zone. People have also complained about extremely high GPU temps in the menu and while queuing in game.

Sidenote, it's a very fun game, I've been playing the beta and love it.

And this isn't the first time it's happened either. I think the reason it's blew up more in the media now was because it was reported by a popular twitch streamer who people follow instead of just random redditors. Other games which reportedly killed evga rtx3090 graphics cards include Halo Master Chief Collection and Path of the Exile.

Soldato
OP
Igors lab claims to have found the culprit

he was unable to kill any 3090 he owns but he contacted his aib rma contacts who told him it's the fan controller chip on the evga ftw3 that has burnt out he doesn't know anything about other cards but that's what he was told about the specific model.

The cards won't boot if the firmware detects fan failure, but his contact could not explain why the fan controller chips are dying

https://www.igorslab.de/en/evga-geforce-rtx-3090-vs-amazons-new-world-design-caused-evga-problem/

Soldato
OP
And still nothing from any tech tuber other than Jay that AMD cards are dieing from this.... shill gonna shill i suppose

There are people on Reddit saying their amd card has died too. Not many but there are and Jay is just saying what his Twitter followers DM'd him

take it how you will, if that's shilling then tuck me

Soldato
OP
It makes me wonder, these are cards made during the worldwide Covid lockdowns, so were corners cut?

I always remember people here as far back as 2003 telling others not to cheap out on their builds with poor grade power supplies. Then Covid came and the mass surge of first time PC builders which was all over Youtube. Has this caught up? Or a mix of flaws in some graphics cards and not up to spec power supplies for their builds with all this heat?

Gamers nexus is about to release a video of the exploding gigabyte power supply. I can't remember the model name, it's their entry 650w or something - it doesn't have over current protection.... so when you exceed 650w from the wall the psu does one of two things: you hear a bang sound as it blows up or you smell smoke because it's on fire

All power supplies and power systems are supposed to have adequate over current y protection and when you buy these products you seee all these certification stickers in it that says it's being tested yadayada- the truth is it's often fake, fake certifications in many cases and products never even tested in others - the power supply and power delivery industry is in shambles

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How is this game causing cards to bypass their power limits? This shouldn't be happening whether the card bricks or not.

The 530/600w or whatever it was was with an XOC bios loaded - XOC will let the card have up to 1000w if it asks for it, you can't actually get that much because Nvidia locks the voltages.

But even with the stock Evga bios on the car, the card was still regularly pulling 20% more power than the top of the bios power limit which isn't good

Soldato
OP
Look like it's just as well EVGA have good CS as customers will often need it :p
Bit ofa mixed mind about that: if you expect that any manufacturer could have issues, then buying from one with good CS makes sense.
On the other hand, of they keep making design mistakes or have poor QA so you're more likely to need to use their CS? Not so good
I used to buy Crucial because their CS was okay and their RMA address is (was?) in Glasgow. However, I don't think too much of their QA as I actual had a few sticks of their go bad.

that's what I was just thinking, good CS sure but what's the point of the product they sells results in higher failure rate than the competing product. Having better CS costs money, it means Evga spends more on CS than others - but who pays for that? Paid for by all the corners cut in gpu production

Soldato
OP

Uh oh, poor 3090 FTW3 - that's the fan controller on the pcb blowing up because it tried to run the fans at 2 million rpm

Soldato
OP
Exactly..

Anyone that has been watching the EVGA FTW3 cards would have known these were failing even before this Amazon game, the EVGA forums are full of proof this is a design problem as they were failing on other games and benchmark tools. But not one of these shills would admit that, when the evidence was right there, but of course they didn't want to upset their free cards sponser and money in the back pocket. This is the problem now in the world of youtube and sites that have paid advertising by the click and the never ending clickbait and false information to protect their sponsors.

Wait for Gamersnexus, he's an EVGA shill too, like Hardware unboxed are MSI shills, Linus LG shill etc etc, you just need to watch the channels and realise who they shill for all the time.

Or maybe LG OLED's are just the best gaming screens in the world :D

And Linus will shill for anyone if you pay him enough with free products, he's basically being able to fully renovate his house just from free stuff he's received

Back
Top Bottom