Can an employer specify that you MUST eat what the children are eating?

Soldato
Hey all,

Just a quick question, on behalf of my mother. She has been told by her place of work that she must eat what the children eat for her lunch.

She usually takes some ryvita, fruit and a yogurt or similar. She's now been told she can't have lunch unless she sits down with the children and eats what they eat.

Is this even legal?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
It's a childrens nursery which is twinned with a primary school. The person who stipulated this 'menu' sits in her own office and eats what she pleases!

The comments about window licking and other things have made her laugh so thank you very much :)

Soldato
OP
If the hours she works mean she's entitled to a lunch break (more than 6 hours) she can eat what she likes. Otherwise, I guess they do have the right to refuse her the time to eat her own food, though it sounds totally ridiculus.

She's there for various shifts but some 7am-3pm, some 10am-6pm.

Simply put, no they can't. A school can't legally dictate what anyone eats, even the children. As I proved with my sons primary school.

I'd like to hear more on this, as this school insist that the children can only have certain food in their lunch boxes once they reach school age and move up from nursery.

Oh you did that with a school too? ****** idiots I dealt with would rather my boy starved than eat something that they didn't approve of.

As said, they cannot dictate what she eats. How long has she worked there?

She's been there four years now. No chocolate is one such rule, the children will get fat. Funny, I can recall having club biscuits and other sweet confectonary and I'd hardly call a 32 waist in jeans fat.;

Back
Top Bottom