Can anyone help identify this game?

Soldato
I have vague memories of a realtime strategy/tactical FPS game where I think you were the leader of a SWAT team or similar.

You got a chance to plan the mission which might be going into a building and clearing out a team of terrorists - viewing the building birdseye, and you could split the squad down and give each little group a set of instructions - like a sequence of what to do, and where to go, with triggers for each.

Then you switched to FPS and led your little group, while the other groups got on with the instructions you gave them, typically entering the building from another entry point, and either flushing people to you to take out, or vice versa.

I think it may have been a Rainbow Six game but none of them look exactly how I remember it (probably my memory at fault).

Also, if this sounds like the sort of gameplay of any other games, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Has to be Rainbow Six. Doesn't sound like SWAT as the FPS ones were fairly limited in terms of the planning phase and your AI team mostly just followed you. Still excellent games for their time though.

Also made by original r6 developer, in early access

https://store.steampowered.com/app/16900/GROUND_BRANCH/

Thanks for posting that, how did I not already know about this?! Will need to check it out, I've never forgiven Ubisoft for what they did to the R6 name.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone - Rainbow Six it is! I didn't go far back enough. I can't believe how old it is.

@jimjam81 - your screenshot was the thing that helped.

For me the appeal was being able to play FPS but know what the rest of your team was doing.

Soldato
rogue spear was probabily one of my favourite all time games. the intro still gives me goosbumps. would stay up all night playing multiplayer on gamespy.

Soldato
Thanks everyone - Rainbow Six it is! I didn't go far back enough. I can't believe how old it is.

@jimjam81 - your screenshot was the thing that helped.

For me the appeal was being able to play FPS but know what the rest of your team was doing.

Makes me feel old I remember playing this as if it were yesterday.

Edit: it was actually raven shield I play so only 17 years ago not 22 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom