Can anyone recommend a card reader?

Associate
Hi, I'm trying to find a decent internal card reader which can be connected via firewire and supports miniSD - can anyone recommend such a device?

Thanks.

Thanks! Ok, change of plan then, forget firewire - can anyone recommend a decent internal card reader that supports miniSD?

Energize said:
There doesnt seem to be any internal firewire card readers. Even if there was, usb is faster than standard firewire.

But firewire takes up less CPU overhead, USB is very CPU hoggy. If you have more than one computer I would buy a external card reader, as you can use it on any machine. I've just purchased one of these, about £6-7 total from the auction site, it supports mini sd but you need a adaptor.

cardreader_gallery.jpg

squiffy said:
But firewire takes up less CPU overhead, USB is very CPU hoggy. If you have more than one computer I would buy a external card reader, as you can use it on any machine. I've just purchased one of these, about £6-7 total from the auction site, it supports mini sd but you need a adaptor.

If your sending something through usb your not going to notice it on a decent cpu.

I have some experience with USB and firewire devices/enclosures, generally found firewire faster, less resource hungry and more reliable than USB. So stick with firewire if possible, otherwise USB 2 is ok. ie DV camcorder uses firewire instead of USB 2.

And I would avoid USB printers like the plague.

Last edited:
Do new printers even come with Parallel anymore :/

Can't say I've ever had any probs with USB. My printer, camera and G7/apple keyboard all operate via USB interface and got no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom