can i mix memory

Associate
Hi i have Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit and would like to add another 2x8Gb sticks of memory. so can i just add more memory or try to match it with the stuff i have or sell it and buy new, i dont overclock or game hard ?
Thanks

Soldato
You can technically mix ram, however in a best case scenario it will default to the lowest settings of the installed ram (so if one is 3200 and one is 3600 it will go 3200 for example). There's still the chance of it causing issues due to the subtle differences between manufacturers etc though.

Realistically your safest option is matching ram and that's what most of us on here do.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So if i buy this do i add it to existing or replace existing ?
Thanks
Replace and sell your old stuff is the best option so no conflicts but If you just want to add 16gb then it starts from £45.

Last edited:
Soldato
So if i buy this do i add it to existing or replace existing ?
Thanks
Depends, does your board actually support faster than 3200mhz? If it only supports 3200mhz that would be my direction, although I've heard of some issues with Team Group and AMD boards....but replacing yours outright is the 'easiest' way to ensure it all works fine.

What motherboard/cpu are you using

It's also sometimes cheaper to get 3600mhz over 3200mhz due to it being more popular frequency.

Associate
OP
Depends, does your board actually support faster than 3200mhz? If it only supports 3200mhz that would be my direction, although I've heard of some issues with Team Group and AMD boards....but replacing yours outright is the 'easiest' way to ensure it all works fine.

What motherboard/cpu are you using

It's also sometimes cheaper to get 3600mhz over 3200mhz due to it being more popular frequency.
atm its a msi B450 gaming pro carbon ac with a 5600 but looking for a new B550 board for the next year or two

Soldato
atm its a msi B450 gaming pro carbon ac with a 5600 but looking for a new B550 board for the next year or two
Thinking you might be better off looking at 3600mhz ram which can also be run at 3200mhz or 3466mhz (your board can supposedly run those in OC ram mode) if that is the case.
Not 100% sure why you'd bother changing the motherboard though, you're not going to gain a huge amount from it imo.

Soldato
Hi i have Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit and would like to add another 2x8Gb sticks of memory. so can i just add more memory or try to match it with the stuff i have or sell it and buy new, i dont overclock or game hard ?
Thanks

the most important question hear is WHY you need more than 16gb. what is the use case
also i see your looking to change your motherboard from B450 to B550 again why

Associate
OP
the most important question hear is WHY you need more than 16gb. what is the use case
also i see your looking to change your motherboard from B450 to B550 again why
Just got an itch to upgrade and I don’t know why, got another 16Gb (2x8) matching pair so installed them, as for the b550 upgrade I am happy to stay as is for the next year or so, unless a good deal pops up

Soldato
so no need at all just want to spend money. that fine each to there own and all that...

Buy faster not bigger, 4 sticks is a total dog poo to use and play with. buy 16gb or 32gb but get 3600mhz+ because then at least you made things better and didnt just bin money

As for the motherboard don't, just don't it's now a dead socket there will be no new CPU's so what you have is as a good as it gets.
i very nearly spent 200 on a new board to go with my 5600, im very happy i didn't as it would have made no difference in any way.

if you game what GPU do you have, what monitor and what KB/mouse.
if we are looking to burn money buy things that make it better

Associate
OP
so no need at all just want to spend money. that fine each to there own and all that...

Buy faster not bigger, 4 sticks is a total dog poo to use and play with. buy 16gb or 32gb but get 3600mhz+ because then at least you made things better and didnt just bin money

As for the motherboard don't, just don't it's now a dead socket there will be no new CPU's so what you have is as a good as it gets.
i very nearly spent 200 on a new board to go with my 5600, im very happy i didn't as it would have made no difference in any way.

if you game what GPU do you have, what monitor and what KB/mouse.
if we are looking to burn money buy things that make it bettergpu
Gpu is an old 850 and I don’t game heavy wot , age of empires, just getting into it

Last edited:
Soldato
Gpu is an old 580

OK, so your looking to burn money and when asked what GPU you have you say its an OLD then thats where to start
your genuinely considering dropping 200 into a motherboard but your GPU is an OLD...
your changing things that will make no difference to your experience.

im going to go out on a limb hear and assume you didn't mention the monitor or KB/mouse because there also an OLD??

When looking to spend just for the sake of it try to make things better. a good BK/mouse make a world of difference
more ram makes none

A new GPU when you game and need one makes a massive difference a new motherboard again none

Monitor is the be all and end all, people buy a £100 27" 1080p and say that good then spend silly money on a tower.
the monitor is the link between you and the PC, its not to be overlooked.
if your looking to burn cash and game at 1080p push to 1440p or high-end 1080

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies
ryzen 5 5600
amd RX580
Dell se2717H/Hx monitor
Logitech mx master mouse
Roccat ISKU keyboard
Force mp510 for os
mx500 for main drive
870evo for games

Soldato
For me it would be gpu and keyboard from that list that I would upgrade.

Monitor is not amazing but upto the job. 1440 is a lot better if your looking to upgrade

Back
Top Bottom