Can I oil a fan?

Associate
My PSU is making those ticking noises so I contacted Tagan about this problem and they said to oil the fans. How do I do that? Do I just squeeze some oil into the gaps and hope that it reaches the bearings?
Since that email I've investigated the PSU further and it seems that the noises are not comming from the fans. It also gives this ticking sound when the PC is switched off and the fans are not turning but to a much lesser degree. It's still within it's 3 year warranty so can I RMA it due to the noises? Don't get me wrong, the noises are not very loud but with my quest for silence they are lounder than my other quiet components.

The fans that came with my heatsinks stated that they should be oiled before use. To do that it instructed that I should peel back the sticker on the outside (the side that spins not the side that stats still). Once it's off I was supposed to place a drop or two of household oil onto the driveshaft found there. This strategy worked for me though YMMV.

Most (but not all) fans have a sticker, hiding a rubber/plastic plug.

Remove the sticker to expose the plug, and remove the plug. Place at most two drops of oil into the centre of the axel and bearing, and replace te plug.

I would advise wiping the surface where the sticker was, and placing a small patch of either electrical or ordinary tape there, to hold the plug in place.

My memory is a little rusty on this but don't many Tagans suffer from this?

I don't believe it is a fan problem either.

Post an enquiry under the heading "Tagan Ticking" as I am sure this is a known problem and asking a customer to start oiling the fans on their PSU sounds a bit of a cop out to me.

Try the search function to see what that brings up too.

If the fans are a bit noisy this can be done, if you're going to chuck them away might as well. Use a very light oil, no thicker than 3 in 1.

Back
Top Bottom