Can just visiting a website cause a virus or malware on your system?

Associate
I visited a website called processchecker.com earlier which seemed a bit dodge to me, I didn't download anything but I am a bit of a noob and am worrying whether just by visiting a website it can cause a virus or malware on your system? Thanks! I have Chrome up to date and have anti-virus installed.

Associate
Whilst nothing is impossible, reality is it’s unlikely. Browsers are pretty tight on ring fencing what a website runs/does to stay apart from other parts of the system.

At most it might have places cookies on the computer which other websites can track. Deleting your history and cookies would clean that up though.

The majority of infections (for lack of a better umbrella term ) would come from users downloading or clicking to run something, which in this case you say you haven’t done.

Associate
OP
Whilst nothing is impossible, reality is it’s unlikely. Browsers are pretty tight on ring fencing what a website runs/does to stay apart from other parts of the system.

At most it might have places cookies on the computer which other websites can track. Deleting your history and cookies would clean that up though.

The majority of infections (for lack of a better umbrella term ) would come from users downloading or clicking to run something, which in this case you say you haven’t done.
Okay, thank you so much - yes, I didn't download anything and I was using Incognito at the time. Would you suggest I do anything else? I ran a security scan. Do I need to reset Windows?

Soldato
In theory yes, in reality no.

there are so many layers of protection in place that the majority of people don’t know are happening.

Firewall/Defender are simply the last chances for something to be caught.

There are other things happening such as your browser will most likely have its own protections.

UAC (the box that comes up saying are you trying to install this software from this company? only the admin can approve.

Web hosts will have protections so if that site is being hosted by square space for example they would also be checking everything going through them as they don’t want a headline of “square space site hosts viruses”

just be careful going forward on what you click on, especially from emails and anything that is trying to get you to download something. It is possible to get a virus on a system without choosing to download something but with things like uac and firewalls it’s extremely difficult and unlikely to happen as people spreading these are smart and use social engineering instead of hoping on stuff like this.

Associate
OP
In theory yes, in reality no.

there are so many layers of protection in place that the majority of people don’t know are happening.

Firewall/Defender are simply the last chances for something to be caught.

There are other things happening such as your browser will most likely have its own protections.

UAC (the box that comes up saying are you trying to install this software from this company? only the admin can approve.

Web hosts will have protections so if that site is being hosted by square space for example they would also be checking everything going through them as they don’t want a headline of “square space site hosts viruses”

just be careful going forward on what you click on, especially from emails and anything that is trying to get you to download something. It is possible to get a virus on a system without choosing to download something but with things like uac and firewalls it’s extremely difficult and unlikely to happen as people spreading these are smart and use social engineering instead of hoping on stuff like this.
Thank you so much. :)

Soldato
Most modern exploits such as drive-by and 0-day attacks have been created in such a way that they avoid UAC by not escalating privileges high enough for a UAC prompt to be necessary. They have a lot of tricks (root-kits etc) they use to infect systems and do their damage without having to trigger UAC.

Associate
OP
T
Most modern exploits such as drive-by and 0-day attacks have been created in such a way that they avoid UAC by not escalating privileges high enough for a UAC prompt to be necessary. They have a lot of tricks (root-kits etc) they use to infect systems and do their damage without having to trigger UAC.
Thank you, do I need to be concerned about the website even though looking online it’s been around for many years and my antivirus found no malware?

Soldato
T

Thank you, do I need to be concerned about the website even though looking online it’s been around for many years and my antivirus found no malware?

A good place to start is looking at your processes running and on startup. Are you seeing something that doesn't look right?

Modified Host files are another good indication as well.

VirusTotal is a good place to scan the Website.

As other said, it shouldn't be a problem with modern browsers. Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari etc.

In the brief time that I was using MS IE though (2001), I visited someone's personal web page (Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod etc) and it was fairly slow and I thought it was downloading some banner ads. Then about a minute later, I had a prompt telling me to restart my PC. I ignored the prompt and realised that my mouse cursor has changed. Turns out the site did a drive-by installation of Comet Cursor. Spyware! Promptly removed.

Associate
OP
A good place to start is looking at your processes running and on startup. Are you seeing something that doesn't look right?

Modified Host files are another good indication as well.

VirusTotal is a good place to scan the Website.
Thank you, Virus Total came back with no concerns, a few community comments said the website was useless and if you downloaded the program would track you. I didn’t download anything.

Associate
OP
As other said, it shouldn't be a problem with modern browsers. Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari etc.

In the brief time that I was using MS IE though (2001), I visited someone's personal web page (Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod etc) and it was fairly slow and I thought it was downloading some banner ads. Then about a minute later, I had a prompt telling me to restart my PC. I ignored the prompt and realised that my mouse cursor has changed. Turns out the site did a drive-by installation of Comet Cursor. Spyware! Promptly removed.
Okay, thank you. I don’t think it downloaded anything and nothing changed in terms of cursor or pop ups. Looking online it seems safe in terms of virus, but that it may track what your PC does when you download the software. I didn’t download anything though.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom