Can someone give me some advice please?

Associate
Or lots of people, either way I dont mind!!

I'm trying to build a new PC for gaming as I currently have 4 PC's that I'm selling and so therefore, non of my own! :(

I'm looking at giving it away to a very close friend when I can eventually get what I really would like (X2 4400 +, HIS X1900 XT-X etc) but as I want stuff done to my car, I just cant afford it at the moment..

Here's my 'wish list':

(Unsure of what CPU would be best long term, so I've shortlisted 3...)

AMD 64 3200/3500/3700

Abit KN8 Ultra Nforce 4 or AN8 SLI or the DFI Ultra D

Sapphire X1800 XT 256Mbs (In the week only I believe?) or something else? (help please!)

I will buy another TFT monitor but I know what I'm getting when I come round to buying the 3 main bits above.
I have the following to use in it:

Coolermaster Stacker 810
OC Z Power Stream 520W
OC Z PC3200 Platiumn memory 1Gig (2x512mbs cas 2 2-2-5)
Lite On DVD and a CD-RW
Pioneer DVD-RW (v111)
74Gig Raptor
200Gig Maxtor (Storage)

Would that give me a pretty good PC for gaming on guys? The best I've had so far is a XP Mobile @ 2.5Ghz with a 6600GT on Nforce 2...

I'm sorry to be asking the same old thing (if its already been asked a million times) but I dont know who else to ask!! :(
Many many thanks for the help in advice guys and gals :) Look forward to hearing from you :)

Longterm your best bet is a dual core 3800+ CPU.

X1800XT should last a good while - good choice :)

Mobo - my favourite is the ATI chipset Asus - not greatly popular but I have two of the cheaper ones and they've been faultless.

I wouldn't go for the AN8 ( think that's the one that's available in Fatality version ) if you go Dual Core as I had problems with both of mine.

To be honest after looking out for the prices, the DFI seems to be the way to go.

I cant really stretch to a dual core CPU, so I'm sad to say that the 3700+ has got to do :)

Besides, my friend I'm gonna end up giving it to has a XP1800 at the moment... I know he wont be changing it anytime soon!! :eek: :D

phill9800 said:
To be honest after looking out for the prices, the DFI seems to be the way to go.

I cant really stretch to a dual core CPU, so I'm sad to say that the 3700+ has got to do :)

Besides, my friend I'm gonna end up giving it to has a XP1800 at the moment... I know he wont be changing it anytime soon!! :eek: :D

Bearing in mind though that unless you're planning on doing some serious clocking the DFI will be a little OTT. The MSI board clocks very well, but not quite as well as the DFI but the DFI is £20 more

I'd rather have something a little OTT than not to have it and have to pay out extra eventually... Just seems a little silly not paying out the £20 and getting something better and having to pay out twice as much to get it later on...

Just my weird view of getting it!! ;)

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how I get on :) Gonna buy everything from overclockers anyways :)

I assume the 3700 San Deigo core is the way to go out of the CPU's I have listed? Is there a better cooler than the Thermalright SI-120 heatsink? I have had Thermalright's before and I have always been impressed with there cooling power...

Well I would love to spend the extra, but at the end of the day, the setup is going to a friend and his wife for FREE which obvously wont help me afford anything for myself when I come to upgrade, so for him to have a 3700+ with all the bits I dont think he's doing badly, do you?! ;) :eek:

But when it comes to me to buy what I'd like, I'm going to go Dual Core...

then i think the 3700 sounds like the plan.

if your mate is getting a free pc it will be fine, and given it'll be free he can always splash out on a dual core chip he feels the need later, sell the 3700 to part finance etc.

now if only i had a mate like you, can always make use of a free machine :)

MrWhippy said:
then i think the 3700 sounds like the plan.

if your mate is getting a free pc it will be fine, and given it'll be free he can always splash out on a dual core chip he feels the need later, sell the 3700 to part finance etc.

now if only i had a mate like you, can always make use of a free machine :)

I have 3 for sale... If you'd like one, just ask :) (BTW, I aint joking!!)

I think he'd end up me telling me off for doing it for him, but until I can afford to finish my car off completely (might take awhile) I'll stick with this setup.. I figure it would be good for a year or two at least.. :) Besides, graphics cards and CPU's can always be upgraded :cool: I just cant wait to get my hands on the system!!

Back
Top Bottom