Can someone have a look, is my ram running at a very slow speed?

Associate
You can see my specs in my signature, since then i got another set of the 8pack ram so now i have 4 dimms 32gb total, i know this isn't ideal but needed more ram and it was on offer back when ram was expensive. The issue i have is i haven't touched my PC for a while when it comes to technical things, i have sort of forgotten what my ram should be running at and i was looking at getting a 5700x as an upgrade to my 2700x but i read it likes very fast ram, now is my ram running at anywhere near the correct speed? I have a feeling it's not.

If i remember right i tried using the XMP profile and it caused a lot of crashes, any idea/help?

kG9u6Mj.png
e71tb2S.png

Man of Honour
now is my ram running at anywhere near the correct speed? I have a feeling it's not

It is running at 2400, appears to be consistent with JEDEC #7.

If i remember right i tried using the XMP profile and it caused a lot of crashes, any idea/help?

I think Zen+ tended to top out around 2933 with 4 sticks, so I doubt the XMP profile will work.

i was looking at getting a 5700x as an upgrade to my 2700x but i read it likes very fast ram, now is my ram running at anywhere near the correct speed? I have a feeling it's not.

You can change it when the 5700X arrives. AMD say on their website (for the 5700X) that 4 single rank sticks is rated for 2933, but I'd expect it to achieve better.

Associate
OP
It is running at 2400, appears to be consistent with JEDEC #7.

I think Zen+ tended to top out around 2933 with 4 sticks, so I doubt the XMP profile will work.

You can change it when the 5700X arrives. AMD say on their website (for the 5700X) that 4 single rank sticks is rated for 2933, but I'd expect it to achieve better.
Thanks for the reply, do you think the 5700x would be a nice upgrade? Seems for the price it could really be a nice one to get a lot more use out of this platform but i could be wrong.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reply, do you think the 5700x would be a nice upgrade? Seems for the price it could really be a nice one to get a lot more use out of this platform but i could be wrong.

What do you use the PC for? If games, what games, resolution & refresh?

Associate
OP
What do you use the PC for? If games, what games, resolution & refresh?
I run a 1440p monitor at 60hz, i use it for a bit of everything, i play WoW a lot but not a lot of new AAA titles, lots of RPG, will be playing baldur's gate 4 when it comes out and maybe cyberpunk when the DLC drops.

Man of Honour
I run a 1440p monitor at 60hz, i use it for a bit of everything, i play WoW a lot but not a lot of new AAA titles, lots of RPG, will be playing baldur's gate 4 when it comes out and maybe cyberpunk when the DLC drops.

For those kind of games, they often make big use of the CPU, so even at 1440p, I'd definitely consider it. But, a 2060 isn't the fastest, so you'll have a GPU bottleneck @ 1440p in many games.

For WoW specifically, my understanding is that it likes the 5800X3D very much, but I'm not sure how it reacts to the standard CPUs (e.g. 2700X vs 5700X).

Associate
OP
For those kind of games, they often make big use of the CPU, so even at 1440p, I'd definitely consider it. But, a 2060 isn't the fastest, so you'll have a GPU bottleneck @ 1440p in many games.

For WoW specifically, my understanding is that it likes the 5800X3D very much, but I'm not sure how it reacts to the standard CPUs (e.g. 2700X vs 5700X).
My signature must be wrong, i got the 2060 but it was faulty so i ended up buying a 2060 super so its a bit better than the stock 2600. I cant afford the 5800x3d so its 5700x or nothing really, i could wait but i doubt the price will drop much.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My signature must be wrong, i got the 2060 but it was faulty so i ended up buying a 2060 super so its a bit better than the stock 2600. I cant afford the 5800x3d so its 5700x or nothing really, i could wait but i doubt the price will drop much.

Even so, if money is really tight and you're not having performance problems right now, then I wouldn't bother.

But, is the gaming performance of a 5700X significantly better? Yes, it is, you can see that in benchmarks with the GPU bottleneck lifted.

If you watch this video, it might give you an idea why my reply is "yes, but no" or "no, but yes":

Back
Top Bottom