Associate
Hi.
Will my build be able to game some light games (like minecraft and other free games on Steam)

CPU: Intel Celerion 2.9GHz Dual-Core
RAM: 4GB DDR4 2400
GPU: GIGABYTE AMD R5 230 1GB GDDR3
PSU: 500w

If there are a better option, say below (the pc must be upgradable, all new parts, from Amazon and have a budget of £200)

Associate
That would only allow very limited gaming. For that budget you'll struggle for get new parts, but a AMD R3 2200g system would offer way better performance now and better upgradeability down the line.

Associate
OP
That would only allow very limited gaming. For that budget you'll struggle for get new parts, but a AMD R3 2200g system would offer way better performance now and better upgradeability down the line.
Including the cost of the case, hard drive ect, thatgoes overbudget. The only way I could do this is by getting an new A6 processor.

Soldato
Including the cost of the case, hard drive ect, thatgoes overbudget. The only way I could do this is by getting an new A6 processor.

still over shoots but worth serious thought, couldnt spec gigabyte board which normally do- only problem is you'll be having to get Boot kit direct from AMD as ASrock you can send your board in for BIOS update like Gigabyte does
Download windows to a USB stock and click dont activate when installing

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £353.64 (includes shipping: £11.70)

before ram prices when up, this would have been £300 easily :(

Associate
its a tough budget to go all new. Honestly the the best option at that price would be to find a refurbished office machine with a 2nd gen or better i3 or i5 (can be had around the £100-£150) range and add a gt1030 would limit upgrade options but would also give you solid gaming performance far outstripping a Celeron and r5

Associate
OP
its a tough budget to go all new. Honestly the the best option at that price would be to find a refurbished office machine with a 2nd gen or better i3 or i5 (can be had around the £100-£150) range and add a gt1030 would limit upgrade options but would also give you solid gaming performance far outstripping a Celeron and r5
Thank you.
I have found (on eBay) an i5 2500 PC with 4GB RAM
I also found a GTX 1030 and an additional 2GB RAM.
All this for £193.27
(and all free postage :) )

Last edited:
Associate
If by games you mean emulating an NES to play some Super Mario Bros, yes. Otherwise, no.
Celeron (no i) is the lowest and scummiest of the Intel processors. There are some Atom CPUs that are worse but not a by a lot. Also your GPU is very very low end. No gaming for you good sir. I don't even think LOL or DOTA 2 would run properly on that machine.

Soldato
Just be careful mentioning Ebay and sourcing parts with a price/total as its frowned upon on this forum by OCUK and could lead to further action.

One potential issue with buying such a PC off Ebay is the PSU maybe really of poor quality I would ask what it has because cheapo PSU's can fail or even catch fire ! If you do buy it make sure you check the innards before switching it on for dust etc. Also is the i5 2500 just that or an i5 2500k ? The latter would give you options for further overclocking in the future.

Associate
"I have found (on eBay) an i5 2500 PC with 4GB RAM
I also found a GTX 1030 and an additional 2GB RAM.
All this for £193.27
(and all free postage :) )"

I'm not sure that's such a stellar deal, and it's still going to suck. 1030 is a terrible card. Minimum I would get for gaming is a 1050, which, even then, is not great. 1050Ti or 1060/580 would be better.
2500 is a 2011 processor (7 yrs old) and not terrific by modern standards, but certainly better than the system in the OP. 4GB of RAM is not really enough these days. 8 minimum. Ideally 16.

Soldato
Hi.
Will my build be able to game some light games (like minecraft and other free games on Steam)

CPU: Intel Celerion 2.9GHz Dual-Core
RAM: 4GB DDR4 2400
GPU: GIGABYTE AMD R5 230 1GB GDDR3
PSU: 500w

If there are a better option, say below (the pc must be upgradable, all new parts, from Amazon and have a budget of £200)
This ^ is fine for light gaming.

My son's PC, which he and I use for vanilla Minecraft (Win10), as well as Sonic Racing Transformed, Goat Simulator, Gauntlet and some 2d stuff:

Celeron G530 2.4mhz
Geforce 250 GTS
4mb DDR3

Soldato
I'm going to be blunt and say don't bother with new on that low a budget mate.

That budget is extremely limiting, especially new.

My primary advice is save some more cash. Secondary is take your time and find some good second hand bargains.

This is an excellent spec new for the dollar, with room for a graphics update later. AMDs apus are pretty capable.

Personally with a budget that tight I just wouldn't buy new. Members market isn't open to you which is a shame; it's a goldmine.

Back
Top Bottom