Can you review my AMD Ryzen gaming rig proposal?

Associate
Hi guys,

Currently proposed AMD Ryzen rig can be found here: No Competitors

My main aim (currently) is to play FPS such as Player Unknown's BattleGrounds to a fairly high (but not top level) standard.

I have two main questions about the above rig:
1) Can I make significant savings on any component by downgrading to something marginally worse?
2) Is there a better alternative to any component?

Any feedback gratefully received.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply guys! I've incorporated a few bits from your feedback into my rig.

Apologies for posting a 'competitor' link - obviously didn't read the T&Cs / forum rules closely enough!

Hi guys, I've taken some components from this thread, others from friend recommendations and others from a popular PC modding mag.

Questions:
1) Given the Motherboard is Micro-ATX, could I down-size the case to something which still allows enough room, but is a bit smaller?

2) Are there any components which are incompatible with each other?

3) I've included a Wireless Adapter as the motherboard appears to only include wired ethernet, but let me know if I'm wrong

4) I believe the motherboard / CPU bundle is in-stock, but on the bundle product, the motherboard drop-down says 'ordered' instead of 'in stock', so I'm unsure if it really is or not

5) I've included a CPU Cooler fan as I'm not sure if the motherboard / CPU includes one

6) Some components I chose were essentially 50/50 including:
- Bitfenix Formula Series 450W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply vs. Corsair CX-M Series 450W 80 Plus Bronze Semi Modular Power Supply (CP-9020101-UK)

Decided on latter because better value and PC hardware mag recommended it.

- LG 24GM79G 24" 1920x1080 TN 1ms 144Hz Freesync Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor vs. Acer Predator XB240Hbmjdpr 24" 1920x1080 TN 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor -

Decided on latter because appears better value and more output ports.

If you can suggest any changes, be good to know why you think the new component is better.

Budget about £1500

As always, any help greatfully received.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,587.67 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Total: £493.58 (includes shipping: £11.70)

if you wanted mATX, Gaming 3 board with Raijinteks case, with is aluminum and one of the smallest mATX cases there is due to the PSU sitting next to the Mobo.
I a ryzen 1600 running 3.9Ghz with the above mobo and ram
and heres a snap shot of the ATX version of that case, which is slightly taller due to having 7 pci slots, so kncok off 4/5cm and you get the idea
also saves you £20 :)

YLezmUL.jpg
jLuOXvE.jpg

Awesome picture - thanks for sharing and thanks for the suggestion. I'll bear it in mind.

I would disagree with the PC mag opinion on that monitor. The LG is only £10 more, but you get a much newer monitor with: FreeSync, strobing backlight, better looking image quality and OSD presets. You can't use FreeSync with that 1060, but you can with an RX 580 (although the 1060 performs better in PUBG).

Would also swap the RAM and PSU for:

Total: £229.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

The RAM is cheaper, and the PSU is a better quality unit.

Would also swap the GPU for one of these two (if you were sticking 1060):

Total: £568.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)
These two card will run much cooler (and quieter) than the ASUS, and Gigabyte customer support is much better than ASUS - there is a vendor rep on this forum and UK RMA for speedy returns. If you mount your storage on back of motherboard tray/PSU shroud you shouldn't have any length issues with those GPUs.​

Finally, I think that ASUS game promo has ended:

https://promotion.asus.com/en/uk/Ryzen/tac

I would ask customer services about that one.

Thanks - I've swapped in the Graphics Card and PSU that you recommended. Sticking with Corsair for the RAM as I've used them in past and they've done the job nicely.

I've also removed the bundle and added a separate motherboard and CPU.

OK - latest rig below:

Changes:
- Swapped PSU from Corsair to Bitfenex
- Swapped Graphics Card from ASUS to Gigabyte version of Geforce GTX 1060
- Broke mobo bundle into separate parts (hopefully Wraith Spire Cooler is OK! Let me know if I should get a better one)
- Added Gaming Mouse Mat
- Removed Keyboard (getting a friend's one separately)
- Added SteelSeries Siberia Headset on recommendation of a friend
- Keeping with the Acer Monitor over LG on recommendation of a friend
- Added Wi-Fi adapter as I don't think mobo has one built-in

Think we are finally getting there!

As always, any thoughts greatfully received - thanks to all that have responded so far:
Total: £1,509.60 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Back
Top Bottom