Cancelled TV licence

Associate
OP
If it wasn't for live sporting events, I'd cancel as well. Saying that, I'm on Infinity so should probably investigate what BT are providing over the net...

From what I have read, If you are watching a broadcast that is not on demand, ie live TV, on any device, you have to have a TV licence.

Associate
OP
How is it possible for them to know if you were watching a live program (i.e. Top Gear via BBC website) and if you don't have a TV License as well?

I would love to know this, I remember the TV detector van's.

I would assume that they would have up to date equipment that will detect if your watching live TV, how I don't know.

Soldato
Not had a TV license for the last 2 years in my flat. Me and the O/H just use Netflix and occasionally iPlayer (not live).

Never had anyone come round wanting to check the situation, just get a letter once a year asking me to either buy a license or to reconfirm I don't have/use a TV.

for the record I have no TV or receiving equipment, just a projector and the internet :)

Soldato
I think you also need to remove your cars radio?

Doesn't the licence fee also cover radio :confused:

The thing is, I believe you need a licence if you own ANY device CAPABLE of receiving a TV signal. If not, and you can get away just by removing the coax cables then I might do the same

Netflix, Hulu, iPlayer, Roku channels, upcoming Xbox One content is more than enough

What about TV Catchup? Since that is streamed a few seconds after broadcast can you legally watch that?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm wrong, you can cancel

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/how-to-tell-us-you-dont-watch-tv-top12/

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

Thanks, just saved myself £12 a month

Soldato
Not yet. I don't believe that I have any obligation to let them in anyway. Am I wrong?

They can knock on your door, you can tell them to do one, they have no legal authority and if you ask them to leave and they refuse they are then trespassing. If they continue to send you letters or knock on your door you can remove their 'implied rights of access', you can print it off and stick it on your door or just email TV Licensing and request that they acknowledge it, which they always do and then they will no longer contact you and if they do you can then take them to court for harassment.

Worst case scenario, they go to court and get a warrant to carry out a search on your property, what this entails is that they walk in make sure you don't have the TV hooked up.

Of course, you could let them in and they will **** off, however it's the principle.

@the guy above - Nope you don't need it, its only for Television Programs live. And don't forget the 12p ;) I did the figures a few weeks back, something around £150 pcy.

Edit:
@brucey034 - They used to be able to do it with the old analog signals pretty effectively, I'm really not sure how they do it with the new digital however.

Last edited:
Associate
Just tell them straight you don't watch tv have no license and that is all the info they can have and close the door . I have done this everytime i have moved house when they show up after a month or so .Never had a comeback .

Associate
They can knock on your door, you can tell them to do one, they have no legal authority and if you ask them to leave and they refuse they are then trespassing. If they continue to send you letters or knock on your door you can remove their 'implied rights of access', you can print it off and stick it on your door or just email TV Licensing and request that they acknowledge it, which they always do and then they will no longer contact you and if they do you can then take them to court for harassment.

Worst case scenario, they go to court and get a warrant to carry out a search on your property, what this entails is that they walk in make sure you don't have the TV hooked up.

Of course, you could let them in and they will **** off, however it's the principle.

@the guy above - Nope you don't need it, its only for Television Programs live. And don't forget the 12p ;) I did the figures a few weeks back, something around £150 pcy.

Edit:
@brucey034 - They used to be able to do it with the old analog signals pretty effectively, I'm really not sure how they do it with the new digital however.

Even with a warrant they can only enter if you let them .

Soldato
Even with a warrant they can only enter if you let them .

Didn't personally know this.

This is where it is about 'implied rights of access'
(3)The restrictions and conditions subject to which a TV licence may be issued do not include—
(a)a provision conferring a power of entry to any premises; or

Communications Act 2003 Section 364(3a).

Also if you were to put up a notice removing these implied rights, many people encourage others to put a fine on there, do not do this, it's against the law :)

Associate
"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder."

You need a licence even if you only have internet access and a laptop i'm afraid. Even owning a smart phone now requires one. Crazy as it is.
It's not as simple as just selling your TV and taking down your areal these days like it used to be. It's also very easy for them to check if you are lying to them. Sorry brucey034.

Soldato
"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder."

You need a licence even if you only have internet access and a laptop i'm afraid. Even owning a smart phone now requires one. Crazy as it is.
It's not as simple as just selling your TV and taking down your areal these days like it used to be. It's also very easy for them to check if you are lying to them. Sorry brucey034.

Re-read it, only if you watch live tv, this is still a free country ;) Nothing so stupid would be introduced.

Associate
Didn't personally know this.

This is where it is about 'implied rights of access'

Communications Act 2003 Section 364(3a).

Also if you were to put up a notice removing these implied rights, many people encourage others to put a fine on there, do not do this, it's against the law :)

No one can enter your house without consent unless you let them . The police can only force entry if crime is being commited at the time or someone life is in danger . Court sherifs can break in and enter but normal everyday ballifs can not and must get your permission .

Soldato
Indeed, but the principle of getting rid of them as quickly as you can, might be to show them where you've removed the cables from the satellite dish, show them the TV has no aerial and then the tick the box to not bother you anymore.
When you are doing nothing wrong, why not show that to them.

Associate
Indeed, but the principle of getting rid of them as quickly as you can, might be to show them where you've removed the cables from the satellite dish, show them the TV has no aerial and then the tick the box to not bother you anymore.
When you are doing nothing wrong, why not show that to them.

You don't have to show them anything or or give them any details .Simply tell them you have no need for a license and that's all you have to do .

Why should you have to show them .It is invasion of privacy and a bloody insult that they think they can just enter anyone's house to check if they have a tv

Caporegime
I've been doing it since I moved in january.
TV license keep sending letters to the address but not in my name threatening to take me to court and saying an investigation is under way etc.

all a bunch of crap to scare idiots

It's also very easy for them to check if you are lying to them. Sorry brucey034.
yea they have technology from the year 5019 that can be aimed towards an address and it can read in real time all the information streaming down your modem and it can even read all the 1s and 0s on your hdd as if by magic without being plugged in.

I heard they can even read your brain!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been doing it since I moved in january.
TV license keep sending letters to the address but not in my name threatening to take me to court and saying an investigation is under way etc.

all a bunch of crap to scare idiots

yea they have technology from the year 5019 that can be aimed towards an address and it can read in real time all the information streaming down your modem and it can even read all the 1s and 0s on your hdd as if by magic without being plugged in.

I heard they can even read your brain!

I'd recommend you do the implied rights of access removal, it will stop them.

But they really are harassing bullies.

They could go to court and then get your ISP to hand over your activity and then you would be in breech of the Communications Act.

Associate
OP

Sorry, I my stand corrected but I think you are wrong.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom