Cannot get Windows Install to boot in UEFI mode

Associate
Hi team!

I have been struggling with a challenge getting Windows to install - and at 2am last night my wife was less than impressed with me battling away on this, so I've come to ask (plead) for help.

The symptom is that I boot windows install from a USB in EUFI mode and I get a blank, blue screen. The PC then restarts after 30 seconds or so.

I have tried:
- different USB slots (USB 2, USB 3)
- resetting the BIOS
- turning off CSM
- setting secure boot to 'other OS'
- removing secure boot keys
- unplugging as many peripherals as possible
- unplugging all SATA drives
- unplugging all but one M.2 drive
- unplugging all drives
- creating the install media using Windows Media Creation Tool
- creating the install media using RUFUS
- scanning the USB for bad sectors
- trying a second USB stick (on this step now)
- buying a third USB stuck (in the post to come today)
- googling the problem
- searching the forum

Throughout all of this if I enable CSM and boot to the usb it works fine. I just cannot get it to boot into Windows Install in EUFI mode.

Any thoughts on how I can get this install to start please?

Cheers,
Chris

Which motherboard do you have?
Which SSD or nvme drive do you have?

I have an ASUS x470 TUF

I have have tried with two different NVME drives, but the one I want install Windows on is a WD SN750 SE

Edit:- https://www.asus.com/uk/motherboards-components/motherboards/tuf-gaming/tuf-x470-plus-gaming/

Last edited:
Just in case, what's the full system specs? Maybe something else is preventing UEFI from working? Tried with the minimal amount of hardware connected?

I'm running a custom loop, so it's not terribly practical to remove all the hardware, but the same thought crossed my mind and I tried to remove as much as possible.

Left connected are:-
1080ti
2700x
Asus X470 Tuf gaming
Soundblaster AE5
Logitech USB Unifier receiver
Ethernet plugged into mobo
Usb Key with install media

Not connected (but that you might normally expect to be connected)
(Tried with no drives connected at all, but I'd like to do this with the WD 750 mentioned above)
Fans, pump, etc. powered separately and not connected to mobo.

Which USB ports are you trying? Have you tried the USB 2.0 ports on the back? I would stick with Rufus with the GPT partition scheme as I've had better luck with that when trying to install as UEFI.
I have tried USB 2 and USB 3 ports to the same outcome (works with the CSM, doesn't work with UEFI).

I only tried Rufus once (both USB 2 and USB 3) and am just overwriting that USB with Linux Mint right now. I'll go back to Rufus after the other troubleshooting steps.

Back
Top Bottom