Canon EOS 2000D - still a good camera?

Associate
Hi folks,

As thread title really, am seriously considering the above camera. It will be my first DSLR. Have some limited experience using my dad's 600D/6D.

The 2000D model is now over 4 years old. Still a worth purchase, or should I be looking at something more modern/mirrorless?

The purple people (shudder) do the body with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses for £629. If I've researched correctly, to buy these two lenses alone would cost somewhere in the region of £450, making this package seem too good to be true.

So OCUK Snappers, back to the drawing board or grab the 2000D without delay?

Soldato
I would go for a mirrorless but Canon sadly have gone crazy with mirrorless prices so i would get a Fuji one instead.

Like a used X-E2S and get a Fuji 18-55 new from einfinity ( cheaper than buying a used one )

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply Dave,

Yes, Canon Mirrorless prices are insane. But then look at their DSLR prices as well, the 5D Mk IV is quite a bit more expensive than it used to be (so I've been told).

I'm reluctant to buy second hand, although the MM here seems to be my exception to that, and I'm the kind of person resistant to change - Canon, through my limited experience, is what I know, so I have this bizarre, non-justifiable, brand loyalty. So will probably stick with Canon. That and I can use my old man's lenses when needed!

Although, the EOS 250D has caught my attention this afternoon. This, plus a couple of lenses, really is stretching the top-end of my budget.

Soldato
In terms of IQ the sensor is fine but the body itself is very cheap and plastic, the buttons are not very responsive and the rear screen is poor.

I would personally avoid if you’re spending £600+.

Associate
OP
Thanks @Captain,

I think I'm probably going to go for the 250D. I had a look at one of the 250D's successors, the 850D, but both appear identical spec wise; certainly not worthy of an additional £320 in price.

The 250D with a 18-55mm f4.0-5.6 STM IS Lens retails at £700 pretty much everywhere I've checked. I can get 10% off that if I buy direct from Canon UK. I went into Jessops in Glasgow today and they couldn't match that.

Which raises another question. Are image stabilising lenses essential? If not, John Lewis has the 250D with 18-55 and 75-300 Non-IS lenses for £800.

Decisions decisions :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Purely stills or will you be doing video too? If you’re not doing video then you don’t really need IS, it’s a nice feature to have but people coped fine before it came along.

Have you looked at other brands? You could get something from Fuji and a nice piece of glass from MPB for around £600.

Associate
OP
99.99999% stills - aviation/wildlife/landscapes mainly. That's reassuring re: IS. I will eventually get a tripod too. Haven't really looked at other manufacturers, but I shall. Although I do like the look and feel of the Canons, and I have use of my dad's Canon lenses too.

Appreciate the advice so far.

Back
Top Bottom