Canon Wide Angle - Sharp, High DOF, High F-Stop

Associate
I'm after a auto focus wide angle lens for my 6D that is very sharp and produces little distortion.

I'm struggling to find much info from lens reviews when shooting at higher apertures. I am likely to be shooting at around 5.6-f8+ as I will need full focus of the scene, at approx 4m.
24mm would be ideal, however if a 35mm is significantly sharper and distortion is not truly correctable with 24mm I can go 35mm. CA is not acceptable.

I have been looking at both the 24mm and 35mm Sigma Art Lens's. However understandably most reviews concentrate on wide open and bokeh, I am after the opposite. I can find little acurate info on how they perform with when trying to take a fully focused shot. I am aware most fast lens's perform optimally at around f4-5.6 however detailed comparisons at these settings I am struggling to find.

I have a feeling that maybe a slower lens will perform just as well or even better. However it seems slower lenses appear to be of a lesser quality, I am sure there are exceptions to that, I would like to be aware of them.

Any advice appreciated.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestion, I shall take a good look at that lens. A cursory glance suggests it gets relatively good reviews. I have the 17-40 whilst it's pretty good for what it does and can produce stunning photos. On a technical level I am unable to resolve the detail I need.

I'll be shooting tripod only, and Pixel peeping to the extreme. I think a prime will be needed, as any accidental adjustment to the zoom will be very destructive between shots. I don't think it is possible to lock the zoom otherwise without glue.

Associate
OP
Ohh my days... That is a pricey one. I may have to rent both and test. At that price point I would have 2 options for roughly the same outlay.

5DSR + cheaper lens like the sigma
or
EF 11-24mm f/4L keep my existing body (and sell my own to finance the lens)

Normally I'd say glass over body..However 50mp...... time to ponder... Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom