Cant find drivers. Xbox series X controller B button doesnt work in various games

Associate
I have a number of games in which the B button
- acts as if its been pushed, in game.
- Doesnt perform the function of B button, when pushed in game.
(The game knows a button has been pushed, but the "back" action doesnt happen.

Applies to a few games. The game knows a button has been pushed, I'll hear a noise, but the "B" functionality ("back a screen") does not occur.

I have to use the escape key on the keyboard wherever the B button doesnt work.

Cant find xbox series x controller drivers online, not sure what to do, to fix it.
Help please, anyone?

Last edited:
Associate
I'd imagine that this isn't a driver issue, but a mechanical failure of the controller. It might just be full of dust or other debris that needs clearing out to allow the button to move freely, or you will need to replace the button which is fairly straightforward.

I'd recommend watching some teardown videos on Youtube first and see if you can just give it a darn good clean.

Associate
OP
I'd imagine that this isn't a driver issue, but a mechanical failure of the controller. It might just be full of dust or other debris that needs clearing out to allow the button to move freely, or you will need to replace the button which is fairly straightforward.

I'd recommend watching some teardown videos on Youtube first and see if you can just give it a darn good clean.
The button responds perfectly. At the slightest proper touch, the computer registers that its been pressed.
- Noise in game (in different games)
- Plus the gamepad calibration/test registers it working ok as button 2 I think.

The strange thing is, the only feature on the controller which doesnt work, when on-screen it says press B to "go back" in different games, is the B key on the controller.

Ive not remapped its position, so its not that.
Windows sees it as an xbox controller
Button causes a sound to occur when pressed
...yet in different games, i can only get ONE bit of functionality to malfunction, and that is the "go back" a menu option, in menus.
So I have to use the escape key.

Are you sure it sounds like a dodgy physical button still? Does anyone else think that the button is broken, when the button works fine in the gamepad calibration screen.

My problem is not that nothing happens.
My problem is that the "go back a screen" functionalty doesnt work, in various games.
And in those games, i hear a sound whenever I press that button (so the button contact detection functionality in the physical button works)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Download the Xbox Accessories from the store, there are sometimes firmware updates available but you should be able to configure & test it too.

Associate
OP
Download the Xbox Accessories from the store, there are sometimes firmware updates available but you should be able to configure & test it too.
This has solved the problem.
Button mapping would not resolve the xbox controller button but this did.
Thanks very much for that! :D

Associate
OP
So what solved the problem? Updating the firmware of the controller or using the Accessories app to remap buttons?
controller remap didnt work.
**firmware update, then revisiting a game, B button now works(!)
Reported so here
Then noted controller left stick was inputting commands when not touched
windows game pad recalibration fixed that
and now, the select button is not working in menus in some instances
So I'm actually no longer sure.
Im not sure I use the B button in games, just in the menu, so I'll have to recheck. I mainly use kbd/mouse. Will see where im at next time...

Back
Top Bottom