Cant install OS 10.4.8 on Ibook

Associate
Have bought this machine to join the wifes macbook, but the drive has been wiped.
Every time I try to install I get Kernal panic: unable to find driver for this platform.
Is there a solution to this problem I read that I might need OS 9 to get some system files.
Really desperate to get this Ibook working.
Could it be another problem
I am not that great with Macs yet, but should be able to pick it up quickly.

Soldato
Sounds like you're using the discs that are tied to a particular model of computer.

There was some talk of making your own version of OS X (from copying your legit one) and changing or releasing appropriate drivers in a pack (on the cd) to get around this but I don't think the practice is in the best interest of the user license etc.

Associate
OP
I have 10.4.8 that came with this, but I cant see these being the origional restore disks from a 2004 1.2ghz 12" Ibook.
There are two of these and they are genuine. have also tried my wifes copy of tiger that came with her 2007 macbook, they are a little later version 10.4.10
I also have leapard but that is an upgrade disk.

Soldato
New disks mate, the ones you have are tied to the computer. eBay is your friend, shouldnt cost too much.

Associate
OP
Yep but I also have the ones that came with the ibook, but I think they might be an upgrade to the OS that would have been on the ibook.
so what do I buy the full retail version.

Caporegime
What does it say on the front of the disc exactly? 10.4.8 would not be an iBook restore disc. Your best bet is a 10.4 or 10.5 retail CD/DVD.

Soldato
No chance the MacBook disk will work - it's the Intel version of OS X. Your iBook has a PowerPC processor.

You need a Power PC version of Tiger, probably the retail version or the iBook restore disc.

Associate
OP
I found these are these the right ones, I think they are.
Four Original DVD's To Install OSX

The Discs are all Labelled And Orignial Not Cheap Copies, Idea To Sell Along With Your iBook!

DISC 1 - iBook G4 - Mac OS X Install Disc 1 ( Mac OS Versions 10.3.7 / Disc version 1.0 )
DISC 2 - iBook G4 - Mac OS X Install Disc 2 ( Disc version 1.0 )
DISC 3 - iBook G4 - Mac OS X Install Disc 3 ( Disc version 1.0 )
DISC 4 - iBook G4 - Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test ( AHT Version 2.2.1 / Disc Version 1.0 )

Caporegime
What's the deal with downloading Mac OS install media if you own a license to use it (e.g. the product it was pre-installed on)?

Back
Top Bottom