Can't make my mind up on these 2

Associate
I need a wider lens for my a6400 I currently have these 2

Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS

I'm keeping the 70-350 but wanting a lens that can give me a little more light and wider angle than the 18-135 which I might sell on to fund the new lens if the wife let's me keep it I might as well just keep it.

I am leaning more towards the Sony mainly because it's F1.4 will there be much difference in how much view between these 2 lenses I'm so confused.

Sigma 10-18mm F2.8 DC DN C vs Sony E 15mm F1.4 G

I mainly want to use it when visiting certain castles and gardens in Scotland and if I'm lucky the aurora borealis.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Soldato
Decide on if you need the flexibility of the zoom or the low light and shallow depth of field capability of the Sony. The Sigma is a lot more versatile with a pretty much perfect focal length range for landscape/indoors/architecture of around 15-27mm on ff. You can get wide shots indoors and anything outside you are easily able to get foreground subjects in the frame for landscape. If you don't like the wide angle look towards the bottom range of the Sigma focal length, buy the Sony. It also depends on how much you want to shoot at night/low light in which case the Sony is the choice. If you don't plan to shoot regularly in low light and you don't know, the Sigma is the better choice as it's far more versatile. I should add I know nothing about the below and am presuming both are weather sealed.

Once you have decided on the focal length and price, it's sharpness, weight, weather sealing and rendering/colour.

You can look at Flickr groups or elsewhere for photos of the focal length of the exact lens.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're likely to be doing much astro, a faster prime makes sense, but you'll want to check that coma is well controlled.

I'll always take a prime over a zoom, as I find it's easier to build into my workflow (you know what to expect the moment it goes on your camera).

To make it a bit harder, have you thought about the Samyang 12mm f2? You'll find it a lot wider than the 15mm in practical terms (in full frame terms it's 18mm vs 23mm). It's a cheaper way to dip your toe into the water if you're not used to shooting ultra wide.

Soldato
If you're likely to be doing much astro, a faster prime makes sense, but you'll want to check that coma is well controlled.

I'll always take a prime over a zoom, as I find it's easier to build into my workflow (you know what to expect the moment it goes on your camera).

To make it a bit harder, have you thought about the Samyang 12mm f2? You'll find it a lot wider than the 15mm in practical terms (in full frame terms it's 18mm vs 23mm). It's a cheaper way to dip your toe into the water if you're not used to shooting ultra wide.
The only caveat with the 12mm is it’s MF. Just something to be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom